PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
But maybe its time to take it back a little. How long do you let your pipe go before a good reaming?

neYXjly.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, I'm not a big cake fan, so I keep mine reamed back pretty thin when it does grow. Judging by the thickness of those walls, though, I'd say you'll run out of tobacco room before that monster cracks!

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Looks fine to me. This topic recently came up on the Grabow site, the metal end of a #2 pencil works as a reamer....

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Oh my god that is beautiful cake going right there. I usually don't ream until they get that thick, but my bowls aren't as big as that. So if you can't get your little finger, or tamper in the bowl, then something needs to be done. I can imagine how delicious that tastes!!!
Good work on the cake building!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a few of my pipes for a few decades, wipe them out with a pipe cleaner, and none have anywhere near that much cake in them. Amazing!

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I always have trouble reaming to the bottom of the smoking chamber, never a problem with the chamber itself. Any tips who to get the cake down at the bottom would be appreciated. Reaming always fills me with dread, although it has to be done. Use a buttner reamer. I would ream that pipe if it was mine!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm like chasing' and some others on Forums. I just wipe out the bowl after I scoop out the ash and never have to ream. It maintains a nice carbon coating without any build-up, and a pipe goes for forty years and counting. I've never bought a reamer. It saves wear and tear on the briar, and gives as lovely a smoke as you could want.

Status
Not open for further replies.