PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe makers and tobacco blenders aren't going to advertise a downturn in sales, and they might not want to jinx an uptick either. Has anyone caught wind of how pipe and pipe tobacco sales are faring in these turbulent times? I can see a real downside with job loss and retail closure, but a compensating uptick in people spending more time at home and not spending money on other things. It could be a drain, a boom, or a wash. Is there any sense of what's happening in the pipe and pipe tobacco business?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ver', good for you for getting the money into circulation rather than sitting on it. We were going to get my wife a new bigger iPad with a regular keyboard anyway, so we may do that. No major pipe or tobacco purchases for me, but I usually keep the pipe budget pretty low.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
well the thing is how many people are going to buy a lot less when this is over? How many people are going to keep smoking more afterwards? And how many people are like me who've mostly stopped smoking because they only go out about once or twice a week instead of five days a week?

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Itz

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
I've spent too much money these last few months on mainly tobacco. But when my dog ate my favorite Bjarne, that gave me an excuse to buy a new pipe.. The flood gates have opened.

• Wow
Reactions: newportpipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think we can judge from the Forums demographic. Most pipes and pipe tobacco are bought by the man with three or four pipes who sticks with two or three blends, all aromatic. That majority of pipe smokers won't change his habits unless he can't pay for basic household bills. However some segment of the market, like artisan pipe carvers, or high premium blenders probably mirror our behavior in terms of profits. Russ O., the renown blender who is an erstwhile member here, noted that ninety-some percent of tobacco sales are aromatics. It is that wider segment of the market that sets the bar for sales.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It's been better for many this year than the last few, not sure why, but the tobacco hoarding seemed to put a damper on pipe sales the last couple years (or there's just more competition with 90000 people making "artisan" pipes now). I've had pretty steady commissions the last... six months or so.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Before it starting warming up, I was buying more really bunged-up estates just to have something to do. Cleaning up a really mistreated 10$ pipe can provide me at least a couple hours of entertainment, plus I get a new smoker out of it. Good deal all around if you don't mind sanding stems and all that. The problem is that it seems like a lot of other people had the same idea, so prices on the very low end really jumped in spring. There are still some good finds around, but you have to look a lot harder than last spring.

Jun 23, 2019
With all these layouts and unemployment rates in constant rises I have a feeling that this will have negative impact on pipe and tobacco industry and eventually on western countries economy as a whole

Let me try to find the study for you, but there is actually a correlation between increase in unemployment and spending on "libations".

well the thing is how many people are going to buy a lot less when this is over? How many people are going to keep smoking more afterwards? And how many people are like me who've mostly stopped smoking because they only go out about once or twice a week instead of five days a week?

Not to mention CoVID-19 is a respiratory virus after all. Regardless of your own opinions on the matter, I would the general public will be steering away from smoking activities.

Let's think about it for a second. You are asking if a bunch of hoarders bought more stuff during a time when literally everyone is hoarding? :)

Me thinks sales are up...

Yup, especially with the up-coming 9th Annual Tobacco Apocalypse.

Bought way more than usual. Part of it was to support the suppliers, the rest was “if you were to die tomorrow” what would you regret..

That's what I tell myself too!

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I been buying more of the hard to fine Bourbon/Whiskey..Nothing on Tobacco..I am waiting for Esoterica drop when this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.