Has Anyone REALLY Experienced Pipe Ghosting?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
250px-Casper_the_Friendly_Ghost_issue_No.1_%28March%2C_1991%29.jpg

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
For sure. Good luck trying to taste Esoterica-Dunbar through my Lat pipe. haha
Or my cob I have set aside solely for Stokkebye-Peaches and Cream for that matter.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I believe in ghosts. I have been exorcising an aromatic ghost out of a Savinelli Oscar for over a year now. Finally made some progress after finding the ghost a latakia friend. (Fayyum seems to be a good pairing)
Tried the traditional methods, then decided that since I couldn't beat it, it was time to join it....

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My first two estate pipes I ever bought were so heavily ghosted with Lakeland blends that I couldn't get rid of the taste. I salt treated each pipe a couple times, and then sent them off to have them cleaned up and they still reeked of Lakeland. To this day I can't bring myself to smoke a Lakeland because of those two pipes. Needless to say I didn't keep them, and I re-sold them on eBay. However, I noted in my auction that while the pipes were cleaned they were previously smoked with Lakeland tobacco's, so that the new owners were well aware that they should be intended for Lakeland blends.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My pallet is so perfect discerning boring, that I can immediately taste anything other than Carter Hall...And it makes my tongue sad...

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My pallet is so perfect discerning boring, that I can immediately taste anything other than Carter Hall...And it makes my tongue sad...
didmauw, you really only smoke Carter Hall? It's great and all, but you really dislike all other tobaccos?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
People like what they like, and sometimes that has no bearing on what else they might like. I could see smoking Royal Yacht exclusively just because it's that good.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Phantom, yes Carter Hall is the only pipe tobacco I like. Everything else burns my mouth. I used to like to mix it with Butternut Burley, but that's just too much work for my simple mind.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That is sort of an old school view. It seemed that most smokers found a blend or two that they really liked, and stuck with it, sort of like throwing in a tub with the grocery order every two weeks and not thinking more about it.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I agree with Crooner ghosting. Had a cob that I tried it in, and ended up tossing it out cause everything else tasted like it. Half & Half gave a little ghosting also, but went away.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
A lot of the ghosting is definitely in estates. I believe that the old school method of smoking just one or two blends in just one or two pipes all the time has heavily ghosted a lot of pipes on the estate market. These days, a lot of people switch blends in a pipe, rest their pipes between smokes, and generally take an entirely different type of care of their pipes. It seems that ghosting is less of an issue nowadays. But, yes, there are some blends that will outright ghost a pipe. No easy answer here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is smoking one or two blends mostly a key to contentment? Whereas smoking an unending parade of blends is exciting but not as satisfying? That might be a different thread. I'm stuck on the adventure of an unending trial of blends, so even blends I enjoy a lot are not re-ordered for a long time, or maybe ever.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
That reminds me:

Three Days of the Condor (1975): Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway, Cliff Robertson, John Houseman, AND Max von Sydow*; directed by the late, great Sydney Pollack. Got it queued up for watching here in hi-def this evening.
And, if you want to truly ghost a pipe -- smoke this stuff in any number of pipes for three days.

---
* Just finished re-re-re-watching Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters (1986): Max is great!

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Smoke condor or ennerdale for a month in a pipe and you will know for sure that ghosting can exist....fiercely amd stubbornly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.