PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
OK, so during my latest episode of P.A.D. I picked up a Big Ben Pipo. I was deep into the pipe buying (see my related post "Worst case of P.A.D, for me to date") and wasn't even paying attention to the measurement given by the seller. I just thought to myself, "Well that's a cool looking horn pipe, and look it even comes with it's own case!" so I pulled the trigger. I received the pipe in the mail yesterday, and boy was I surprised. It's about 3.5 inches long. My wife laughed at me, and then asked when I had bought it (another story all together). So I received two more pipes today (again see related post) and was headed outside to clean them up and decided what the hell let's load this pup (the Pipo) up and smoke her. I threw some Mississippi River in and headed downstairs. It smoked BRILLIANTLY! I was planning on selling this pygmy pipe, but it changed my mind. I proceeded to clean the other pipes for about an hour and would pick up the Pipo from time to time and take a few good puffs. Anyone else ever had an experience with these little gems?

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I have seen similar shaped pipes now and then. I am glad it works well for you. Is it hard to clench?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's one of Big Ben's traditional style pocket pipes. The Dutch revere precision, and it doesn't surprise

me it smokes well. For a long time that was the only style Big Ben one of the online retailers carried.

As I recall, they sell for around $90 new.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
I have the Ranger which isn't much bigger than the Pipo. Same thing happened to me. I was shocked by the size, but please at how well it smoked.
Does the Pipo have a stinger in it like the Ranger does?

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
It does have a stinger, which does a great job! I'm going to try some otehr blends in it this afternoon to see if it was just the Mississippi River that was so pleasant. Probably try some Orlik Golden Slice in it, or maybe some Escudo! :puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Well, thanks, Papipeguy :evil:

That's pretty cool. The MSRP is about $109.00 but P&C has them for $39.95 at the moment.
Urgh, well you caused be to blow over my July budget - again because last week I blew it up when ordering for the Tobacco Crawl. On the other hand, you saved me 40 bucks or more, since the Pipo was up next on my wish list for August. So, technically, I've gone through to my September budget, but since I saved $40 maybe I can get away with buying just one pipe for August...
Aaaargh, these PAD justifications can be very tiring and mentally challenging. :crying:
I've also been boycotting P&C since they stung me with their 3 pipe grab bag. But I sold out my resistance for $40.00. Crossing fingers they don't do me again. I know they same work for most of the rest of you.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I have a pipo, its a decent pipe but I hardly smoke it. For some reason it always makes me a bit un easy smokimg in my car or in public because I think it looks to close to a drug pipe and get paranoid that people will think im smoking the wacky tabacky. It is convenient though and I do throw it in my pocket when i take mt motorcycle out for a ride.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I'm pretty much a fixture in the courtyard of my corporate apartment, eveyone knows that I smoke a tobacco pipe. When I first started smoking a pipe I was concerned about what people thought that I may be smoking as well. Especially as I regularly smoked a Falcon (made of metal) that my mother had given me from a trip to the UK. I guess I really don't care who sees me smoking my pipes anymore, no matter what the pipe looks like. I will agree with you though, it does look like drug "Paraphernalia".

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i smoked a pipo 60 years ago - it was fun - it was unique - back then nobody thought of "druggies" as they would today - sad commentary on today. i am thinking of buying another one

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I've not smoked the Pipo, but I do have a Kaywoodie Colt, as well as some pocket or close to pocket sized pipes from Morgan Pipes and others. I have been surprised by the awesomeness of small pipes that are easy to carry around, clench well, and disappear when you want them to. I am actually very interested in eventually adding a Pipo to my small pipe rotation. They are great travel pipes. Smoke that Pipo proudly, and if anyone confuses the smell of tobacco for other substances, it's not worth your time to worry about that.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Never had a pipo.. but had similar experience with what I thought was a mistake until I smoked it. Is it intuition.. or just the old tale coming true.
"Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn (surprise) every once in a while.
A great smoking pipe no matter how fancy, plane, ugly, or odd is always a wonderfull find. And if it's real embarrassing you can always smoke it in the closet.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I picked up an estate Big Ben Barbados of similar proportions a couple of weeks ago. Other than the aro ghosting from the previous owner, it smokes wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.