PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
So I bought the cased set from Dave Neeb (see his post in for sale) asI can't post pictures
My question is in date, I know that it is hard to date Hardcastle pipes,but am I correct to assume they are from the 1946-67 era I found a golden jubilee grade with the same made in London stamp.The jubilee I assume was 1958 but don't know when made in changed from British made

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Extraordinary set! I was tempted.

But if you cannot post pictures, surely you can link to them....?

Not difficult at all! Copy image address, click on photo insert, then on "By URL"

e5276-11-jpg.148712

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Extraordinary set! I was tempted.

But if you cannot post pictures, surely you can link to them....?

Not difficult at all! Copy image address, click on photo insert, then on "By URL"

e5276-11-jpg.148712
If I had my computer I could do so,but I am currently on my phone as the computer has died
Thanks for adding the image

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are beautiful pipes, the best from that brand I've seen. Eight or ten years ago, I think Cup'O'Joes sold a few new Harcastles online, and even earlier than that, Iwan Ries had about four matte finish versions with copper bands for about $47 as I recall. I don't know of anyone who sells Harcastle pipes new in the U.S., though they are around as estates.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I did notice that and wondered if it was for a different pipe but the bowl fits well.
I never thought of a tapered stem.
that will now bug me,maybe I need to send it for a tapered stem to be made:(
Perhaps the case was made for a pipe with a tapered stem, but the buyer decided on having both pipes with saddle stems.

Both pipes are unsmoked, so it's most unlikely that it's a replacement stem.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and paulfg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Perhaps the case was made for a pipe with a tapered stem, but the buyer decided on having both pipes with saddle stems.

Both pipes are unsmoked, so it's most unlikely that it's a replacement stem.
I never considered that,as you say unlikely to be a replacement.More likely that was the case they used and the buyer accepted that compromise