PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If I'm not mistaken Dunhill had 2 or 3 pipe subsidiaries to which they accorded indeterminate status as regards the general quality the acquired company would support. Perhaps that was so because they themselves variably assigned which pipes they would sell under their name, Dunhill. and which would be sold by the others. Hardcastle is one of the others and by this respected.

Yuval

Lurker
Jul 11, 2020
Israel
If I'm not mistaken Dunhill had 2 or 3 pipe subsidiaries to which they accorded indeterminate status as regards the general quality the acquired company would support. Perhaps that was so because they themselves variably assigned which pipes they would sell under their name, Dunhill. and which would be sold by the others. Hardcastle is one of the others and by this respected.
thank you for the answer.
Today it is a company owned by Dunhill. According to the seller, the pipe from the 1930s or 1940s. Before Dunhill bought them. Today the level of pipes has dropped (according to what I was told), but in the past how were they?

Yuval

Lurker
Jul 11, 2020
Israel
This is the pipe - Unsmoked family era HARDCASTLE'S Jack O' London 127 English lovat pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-family-era-HARDCASTLES-Jack-O-London-127-English-lovat-pipe/184304233918?hash=item2ae9636dbe:g:kMAAAOSwvWZeypGH

Reactions: ofafeather

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I have never paid $150 for a Hardcastle. It's not that some of them aren't worth the price, but that they can be found for more affordable prices relatively easily. Every Hardcastle I've ever purchased has been between $10 and $40. I believe I own 4 or 5.

Please also be aware that there is a current production of "Hardcastle" that's quite economical, and although I haven't smoked one, I'd guess the quality is somewhat beneath the older ones like the one you reference.

Having searched eBay now I found a few examples of good Hardcastle pipes for much less.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I had one but it didn't smoke right for me. I ended up trading it for a chacom I think. I think i would buy another without hesitation if it fit my criteria.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California.

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..

Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Here’s a link with some info on Hardcastle. Hardcastle - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Hardcastle

I think the difficulty here is collectible value. The majority of Dunhill era hardcastle pipes are decent quality, considered Dunhill seconds but I’m not familiar with pre-Dunhill Hardcastles, which clearly do exist. This may be something for a collector more than a smoker. Maybe @pipestud can provide more context. Typically family-era pipes from most major brands that existed then are sought after. Barling, Sasieni, etc. Some would swear by their legendary smoking characteristics but I don’t really know enough to say if that would apply here. If it were a Barling or Sasieni of the same pedigree it would fetch quite a price.

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
I LOVE the early Hardcastles, and that one looks to be in very good condition. I think in general they perform above their estate-price-point. For reference, I have an early(ish) Jack O'London, Royal Windsor Sandhewn, Drawel, and Camden. All of them smoke well and have a kind of middle-class, bowler hat, everyman-tool vibe about them.

One thing I note from the advert, and was going to ask about, is how they can date it to that time period?

However, that seems to be a very high asking price given that there are higher grades of early Hardcastle available for ~1/3 of that price (in the UK at least!). I guess if it were unsmoked with original packaging etc then that might bump the price up considerably as it is nearly 100 years old! The grain also looks to be very pretty. Just my tuppence!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hardcastle, Parker, and maybe others are owned by Dunhill, but don't think of them as seconds. They are good pipes and smokers, but don't fall for the old trope. I was once sold a Britannia at a Tinder Box with a fan dance about how it could be a Dunhill second. I knew it wasn't, but it looked good, I bought it, and it's been great for years.

Yuval

Lurker
Jul 11, 2020
Israel
[QUOTE = "סלסלת סל, הודעה: 36162195, חבר: 22352"]
אני אוהב את הארדקאסטלס המוקדמים, ונראה כי זה במצב טוב מאוד. אני חושב שבאופן כללי הם מתפקדים מעל נקודת המחיר שלהם. לעיון, יש לי ג'ק אולונדון המוקדם (האיש), רויאל ווינדזור סנדהון, דרייוול וקמדן. כולם מעשנים היטב ויש להם סוג של כובע באולינג מהמעמד הבינוני, וכל אחד מהאומנות הכלים שלהם.

דבר אחד שאני מציין מהפרסומת, והייתי מתכוון לשאול, הוא איך הם יכולים לצאת איתו לתקופת הזמן ההיא?

עם זאת, נראה כי מדובר במחיר מבוקש מאוד בהתחשב בכך שיש דרגות גבוהות יותר של הרקדאסל המוקדמות עבור ~ 1/3 מהמחיר הזה (בבריטניה לפחות!). אני מניח שאם זה לא היה מעושן באריזות מקוריות וכו 'אז זה עשוי להעלות את המחיר בצורה משמעותית מכיוון שהוא כמעט בן 100 שנה! הדגן נראה גם יפה מאוד. רק השטף שלי!
[/ציטוט]
היי
אתה יכול לתת לי website e אם המחיר נמוך באנגליה

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
[QUOTE = "סלסלת סל, הודעה: 36162195, חבר: 22352"]
אני אוהב את הארדקאסטלס המוקדמים, ונראה כי זה במצב טוב מאוד. אני חושב שבאופן כללי הם מתפקדים מעל נקודת המחיר שלהם. לעיון, יש לי ג'ק אולונדון המוקדם (האיש), רויאל ווינדזור סנדהון, דרייוול וקמדן. כולם מעשנים היטב ויש להם סוג של כובע באולינג מהמעמד הבינוני, וכל אחד מהאומנות הכלים שלהם.

דבר אחד שאני מציין מהפרסומת, והייתי מתכוון לשאול, הוא איך הם יכולים לצאת איתו לתקופת הזמן ההיא?

עם זאת, נראה כי מדובר במחיר מבוקש מאוד בהתחשב בכך שיש דרגות גבוהות יותר של הרקדאסל המוקדמות עבור ~ 1/3 מהמחיר הזה (בבריטניה לפחות!). אני מניח שאם זה לא היה מעושן באריזות מקוריות וכו 'אז זה עשוי להעלות את המחיר בצורה משמעותית מכיוון שהוא כמעט בן 100 שנה! הדגן נראה גם יפה מאוד. רק השטף שלי!
[/ציטוט]
היי
אתה יכול לתת לי website e אם המחיר נמוך באנגליה

I agree.

Reactions: BasketCase

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have 3 JOL pipes, 2 with no flaws and good grain and 1 with almost more putty than wood.
If you can get your hands on a De Luxe ( not special De Luxe) with hand cut stem you will get a real
Hardcastle.

Yuval

Lurker
Jul 11, 2020
Israel
I have 3 JOL pipes, 2 with no flaws and good grain and 1 with almost more putty than wood.
If you can get your hands on a De Luxe ( not special De Luxe) with hand cut stem you will get a real
Hardcastle.
This pipe is good?
to look for Hardcastle De Luxe ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.