PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Pipe/cigarette tobaccos from the 1920’s. Approximately 1 ounce each and came with rolling papers.

I think that they are kind of cool- I remember the old b&w westerns where the cow pokes would have the tags hanging out of their shirt pockets!
ba854cee-50af-4e9e-98b4-e9be66382077-600x525.jpg

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Fourth one is:
“R.P.Richardson Jr, & Co., Inc.

Brown & Williamson tobacco Corp.

Successor

Louisville, Ky, USA”
Not a brand that I recognize..

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am curious how the tobacco would present itself should you decide to open one. I am thinking horridly dry, but the taste must be amazing. Good find !

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From Wiki:
B&W was founded in Winston (today's Winston-Salem), North Carolina, as a partnership of George T. Brown and his brother-in-law Robert Lynn Williamson, whose father was already operating two chewing tobacco manufacturing facilities.[3] Initially, the new partnership took over one of the elder Williamson's factories.[4] In February 1894, the new company, calling itself Brown & Williamson, hired 30 workers and began manufacturing in a leased facility.
In 1927, the Brown and Williamson families sold the business to London-based British American Tobacco. The business was reorganized as the Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corporation. Manufacturing and distribution were expanded, and work on a new B&W factory in Louisville was begun.
Purchase by British American Tobacco

On April 26, 1994, B.A.T. Industries PLC announced an agreement to buy American Tobacco Company for $1 billion.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
The North State cigarettes by B&W were amogst high selling factory made cigarettes here during several decades,both filtered and none, Today only the red filtered ones are remaining on the market,retailing for $8 per pack,back in the days thse were amogst the strongest ones on the market

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Paul, is $8/pack a good price for cigarettes where you live?
This is a cool find. My understanding is the tobaccos like these were dual-purpose, both smoked in a pipe and rolled into cigarettes. When I was hand-rolling, I tried Daughters & Ryan Athey, which I believe was supposed to be similar to Bull Durham. It was definitely interesting.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
$8.00/ pack? I think it would be. I know that if I buy a carton for my sister’s birthday, it’s seventy-ought a carton.

One of these bags may be a rough equivalent to a pack of cigarettes and they still have the rolling papers that came with them.

How’s that for inflation?

But that’s Florida... where are you, Paul?

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I was looking for R. P. Richardson Jr. & Co. inc.and found a reference to an anti trust suit that went to the Supreme Court!

It’s kind of hard to imagine how somebody would monopolize the entire tobacco industry, but I guess someone tried!

Status
Not open for further replies.