PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to share my foolproof recipe for pancakes. Lent starts tomorrow for us Catholics, so we prepare by eating pancakes today. Well its not exactly that, but here is the recipe:

2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Salt

* the above is mixed in a bowl together

2 cups buttermilk
4 tbsp. Melted butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 beaten eggs

* the above is beaten separately, then added to dry.

It's a great batter that I got from Saveur magazine years ago. Enjoy!

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Thanks Mike! Happy Shrove Tuesday and Mardi Gras to yourself and others! I'll be honest, being from Texas (and bordering LA) I have always had the Kings Cake to celebrate but just learned about Pancake's this past week. Will have to try it out!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That looks really good. My favorite recipe is similar but uses a little sour cream, no vanilla and less baking powder/baking soda --- I'll be trying yours come the weekend! With pure maple syrup from Canada we get at the local grocery store, of course.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I love pancakes but I never could figure out lent. Though kind of raised Catholic I found a lot of this stuff rather silly. And don't get me started on Confession. To be clear I certainly have no objection to anyone else doing it but its not for me.

Reactions: Zero

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve always been a simple bastard. So here’s mine:

2 eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups self-rising flour

No sugar added. Syrup and Butter is enough.

Makes perfect fluffy cakes every time. Don’t over-mix, just whisk it gently together and hit the skillet.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I want to do Lent but I’m a hopeless hedonist. What insignificant thing can I give up and pretend was significant?

Hmm, maybe alcohol. Then I can keep the pipe.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I want to do Lent but I’m a hopeless hedonist. What insignificant thing can I give up and pretend was significant?

Hmm, maybe alcohol. Then I can keep the pipe.
It is technically not so much about giving something up, as doing something extra now.

But I am walking a thin line on a forbidden topic here, so I will just say that we had a batch of these pancakes tonight and they were spot on ?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I haven't had pancakes in a long time...........
I just bought this Bourbon Barrell aged maple syrup last week. I bought it more for using in cocktails, but I think a batch of pancakes tomorrow is in order.
Thanks for the recipe!!
1646183190664.png

• Love
Reactions: Zero and monty55