PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A friend gave me a pipe, and I have ground up tobacco to make the proper "cut," but lighting requires a deft hand. A big match flame will ignite the whole bowl and it's gone, so you have to barely touch the packed bowl. Even with that, the smoke lasts just minutes. It is a different experience from a standard western style Group 4 pipe. It's just a taste, very minimal and refined.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The Japanese pride themselves on refinement, so I’m not surprised that their tobacco rituals show it. I love watching the results of their best artistry, in pens, food, manufacturing of any sort, really.

But for someone like me, who feels more at home with an open faced turkey sandwich than fugu, the kiseru is wasted. I’ll take a billiard full of broken flake, thanks.

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I read on a few blogs about how to smoke them that you do this weird half inhale. You don't take most of it into your lungs but start like you are and then quickly turn it around and huff it outwards right when it hits the back of your throat. I tried that in my kiseru inspired pipe (the Tsuge metal blowfish, has the same bowl dimensions). Tried it with another high nic blend five brothers. You only get a few puffs like that but wow the nic hit is about like taking two cigs and inhaling them in three puffs. I have no idea if that's one way to smoke it or something said by someone who misunderstood or just a bad translation (the blog was a japanesse person writing in English, though they did seem to know English gooder then the average native speaker).
So no idea if it's true but it is one way to smoke a small amount of tobacco and get a pretty big nic hit. Oh and it does something to the flavor that seems inexplicable. There where nuances that I never noticed before. Oh and it's easier to do then it sounds. Like got it on the first try. And what nuances did it add to that blend? Pepper and more sweetness. Sweet and spicy is good.
Oh and like I said my Tsuge is the same dimensions as an averagish kiseru and with high nic blends it is surprisingly satisfying even if you smoke it like a regular pipe. I tend to smoke five brothers and Semois and occasionally other things when the tins almost empty. With other blends of more average strength it gives a lot of flavor but not a lot of nicotine derived satisfaction.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What's a parkade?
parkade /ˈpɑːkeɪd/
NOUN (Canadian) a building used as a car park [C20: from park + (arc)ade]

Yeah, yeah, I realise I used the term incorrectly. I shoulda said "the building's underground parking lot", but most people here understand when I say "pakade". ?‍♂️

Reactions: Casual

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
parkade /ˈpɑːkeɪd/
NOUN (Canadian) a building used as a car park [C20: from park + (arc)ade]

Yeah, yeah, I realise I used the term incorrectly. I shoulda said "the building's underground parking lot", but most people here understand when I say "pakade". ?‍♂️
I wish you Canadians would start using standard English more.

garage - noun

ga·rage | \ gə-ˈräzh , -ˈräj; Canadian also -ˈrazh, -ˈraj; British usually ˈga-(ˌ)räzh, -(ˌ)räj, -rij \

Definition of garage

a shelter or repair shop for automotive vehicles

Examples of garage in a Sentence

Noun

a house with a two-car garage

My car was making a strange noise, so I brought it to the garage.

EDIT: BTW, maybe you should just smoke in the parkade.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

garage - noun

ga·rage | \ gə-ˈräzh , -ˈräj; Canadian also -ˈrazh, -ˈraj; British usually ˈga-(ˌ)räzh, -(ˌ)räj, -rij \

Definition of garage

Noun

Haha! I thought about garage too, but then quickly remembered that means a repair shop. ?

Reactions: brian64
I waited till it was actually the first of Sept... ha ha. I have one. As a metalsmith, I was interested in making one when I first got into pipes. I found that some shags do ok in it, but really, I think that most people in the US buy them for paraphernalia purposes. I haven't really attempted to make one, especially since my metal would be silver.

• Love
Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017

garage - noun

Definition of garage

Noun

But we can’t forget about the “car port” either!

Reactions: brian64

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Yesterday, I decided to smoke my kiseru. But I could not find it. Today, I remember putting it in a box pass. Any way, it was an interesting experiment. The pipe itself was cool. But the actual tobacco was "cigarette'ish"