PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2019
Lower Terrebonne
Man walks into Pat O'Brien's in the French Quarter and orders two Hurricanes and a Carona. Bartender says, "That'll be $20.20 :oops:

Two storms headed of the southeast Louisiana coast within 48 hours of each other. I have a place of the southeast coast that is raised 14 feet above the ground and plan on riding out the hurricanes while the wife heads for our main home north of New Orleans in Covington. Moved my boat last night to Houma, La. and parked it along with other boats at the Convention Center parking lot. I'll spend the day battening down the hatches so to speak around the place.

I've been through Hurricanes; Audry, Betsy, Camille, Katrina and a few other lesser ones. Would rather deal with a hurricane than a tornado. At least one gets warned of a hurricane well in advance.

Got the Kajun Kake and Escudo ready to go!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Glad I live north of you guys. We're in Slidell. :ROFLMAO:
I've got plenty of tobacco, a bottle of Bourbon, two bottles of rum and a bottle of gin. Will go out later to get some bottled water and sandwich stuff and fill up the tank with gas. Don't know why as I don't expect either of these to hit the New Orleans area harder than a thunderstorm.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like you all are experienced and prepared and provisioned. Stay safe. It is often repeated advice, but most people get in trouble with hurricanes after the high speed winds are over, when they begin to go about and encounter the flooding. You folks all know this from long experience, but for anyone else reading who may not have this in the front of their minds.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Man walks into Pat O'Brien's in the French Quarter and orders two Hurricanes and a Carona. Bartender says, "That'll be $20.20 :oops:

Two storms headed of the southeast Louisiana coast within 48 hours of each other. I have a place of the southeast coast that is raised 14 feet above the ground and plan on riding out the hurricanes while the wife heads for our main home north of New Orleans in Covington. Moved my boat last night to Houma, La. and parked it along with other boats at the Convention Center parking lot. I'll spend the day battening down the hatches so to speak around the place.

I've been through Hurricanes; Audry, Betsy, Camille, Katrina and a few other lesser ones. Would rather deal with a hurricane than a tornado. At least one gets warned of a hurricane well in advance.

Got the Kajun Kake and Escudo ready to go!
Why do people continue to live there?

if you live on something 14 feet in the air... that’s called uninhabitable land.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I moved to central N.C., I thought hurricanes were a coastal problem and always kept my fingers crossed for the folks at the beach. Ha. Then Fran came cruising up the coast and decided to make an abrupt left turn, easterly. She loved our huge old oak trees that were standing in soil already sopping with weeks of rain. Tornados seem to turn up anywhere. We recently had our first earthquake at above the tremor level in a century. So it goes.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My daughter bought a house in Covington, settles this week. Her and my wife drove her car down last night. My son-in-laws father checked the house out and deemed it not having any water damage.I think everyone in LA has flood coverage, but she qualified for the low level. Hope that holds true!
Not sure if the whole state does, but you might be right. My property never floods, not even a few years ago when our area was in the national news for flooding, but I’m still forced to buy it.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.