PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Our traditions help to bind us together through shared experience. Our rituals bring a peaceful normalcy into our often unstable existence.

Please join me in celebrating an old friend of the forum who shared with us many of his traditions and rituals.

Sante Giulani, or fishnbanjo, joined the forum in early 2013, about 4 years before I arrived.

1656998016337.png

In my early days here, he, like many, made me feel welcome and answered all of my noob questions with patience and grace.

He seemed to have a kind word for everyone and a passion for the things he enjoyed that was contagious.

Fishnbanjo Day was started as my way of both paying respect and giving him a bit of a hard time, as we fellows often do with those we admire.

It became a more solemn affair a few years later, after his long battle with cancer ended.

It was one of his grand rituals to don his flat cap, fill his pipe of the hour and show us how to "keep it smokey" from his picturesque estate in Maine.

Previously, I've encouraged members here to do the same. This year, I'm changing it up a bit.

After his passing, a family friend helped to sell off his vast pipe collection and I know many ended up in the hands of forum members here.

So, dig out those treasures and fill them up. Show us Sante's briars casting clouds into the heavens!

If you don't have a Sante pipe, or don't have it handy, he also had a fondness for cobs and bamboo shanks. Show us what you got!

I've popped a new tin for the occasion, something I rarely do these days. I scored a tin of Two Friends Heritage at my local B&M the other day ad I can't think of a more fitting blend to aid my commune with fishnbanjo.

I'll be enjoying it in a Poul Winslow "Banjo" shape that Sante scored 6 years ago.

1656997265583.png

Below are some links to previous FNB Days, as well as a couple of threads showcasing his wonderful collection of pipes.

Enjoy!

1656997573991.png

1st Fishnbanjo Day
2nd Fishnbanjo Day
3rd Fishnbanjo Day
4th Fishnbanjo Day
5th Fishnbanjo Day

Fish Files, Vol 1
Fish Files, Vol 2

Last edited:

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Thanks Jaytex - always good to remember those who have done great things in the world - and shown so much kindness to others as Sante did.

I was able to pick up Sante's Rick Manges brandy apple clencher, light in the jaw and plenty of space to pack good tobacco. Enjoying some Mc 40th that I couldn't stop myself from opening a week ago.

20220705_101113.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always looked for Sante's posts and usually posted on the pipe or the weather where he was. He sent me my first and only meerschaum which I still enjoy, a straight billiard carved with wine grapes and leaves. Perfect.