PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDWTVB

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Dunkirk, NY
Good evening!

My name is Ron, I'm 53 and after being a lifetime resident in South Carolina, five years ago me and my wife moved to to Western NY, Dunkirk NY specifically, on the shore of Lake Erie. I have no idea why people move south, we love it here.

I first tried to smoke a pipe in college somewhere over thirty years ago. I bought the pipe, probably a corncob, from a drugstore and used tobacco I removed from cigarettes. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I never did smoke cigarettes, but after the bad experience with trying to be a pipe smoker, I took up cigars instead. (I think I listened to a cigar show on the radio.) I am an occasional smoker, usually only when I have the time to enjoy a glass of bourbon, and only outdoors. Luckily, the older I've gotten, the more I make time for relaxing.

I tried pipes a couple times again over the years, but without a mentor and not really taking the time to learn, I went back to cigars each time.

About five years ago, just after the move, I tried pipes again, this time by purchasing a Peterson and watching a few videos and using the internet for instruction. Two years ago we took a trip to Ireland and I purchased another Peterson, a system pipe, on the trip and that changed everything. Why would I want to smoke a cigar when I could enjoy a bowl?

Until today I had only acquired five pipes, the two Petersons, a rather horribly smoking Carolina Briar bought new, and three other used estate pipes I picked up at, where else, estate sales. The Peterson system has been my most smoked and loved pipe. Because I smoke so infrequently I don't even know what type of tobacco I have on hand, as I don't remember what the blend was called when I bought it. It may be heresy to some here, but I generally buy tobacco when on vacation, smoke a couple bowls, and then put it in the same jar mixing it with what I have at home.

Today my new pipe and tobacco arrived. A Nording signature spigot smooth freehand virgin finished and Peterson Nightcap tobacco. I just finished my first bowl and it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. (I didn't think the pipe would smoke so well until broken in) The tobacco was a bit on the bland side. Tomorrow evening I'll continue to break in my new pipe using my personal 'custom' tobacco mixture.

I must say I like the freehand design of the Nording even more than the sandblasted finish on the Peterson System pipe. I don't clench and as a confirmed fidgeter, I enjoyed toying with the warm organic shape of the Nording as I was puffing. I also appreciated the large bowl dimensions which pushed me beyond an hour of enjoyment.

It's hard to curb my newfound enthusiasm for pipes, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to smoke a meerschaum. I'll have to ask the woman how she feels about a trip to Istanbul in the future.

Grizz

Status
Not open for further replies.