PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Title edited to capitalize all words. -jpm

So I made this little pipe from one of this DIY molina briar kits. It's smokes surprisingly well. As for the design.... Well... It's a little odd! I was going for a cauldron shape as I often surmise that my little pipe is a steaming cauldron of delicious flavours. I hand carved it using a whittling /carving set and it took about 2 months to do sitting in front of the TV. Then stained it with burgundy leather stain and carefully inlayed 1mm brass wire into my signature celtic bear design which I then sanded smooth and polished. Then buffed it up using carnauba. The finish is... Ok. The briar grain is... Ok. Nothing to write home. About. But then for 25 dollars I can't complain. The finish. Not quite a mirror shine. I lined the inside with some carbon, Plaster of Paris , salt mix. Is it ugly? Yes hahaha. Does it smoke well? Yeah not bad. It does have a 9mm filter too a very deep bowl. Is it one a kind? Probably. Would I make the shape shape again. Lol. ?Never. Next one will be a curved freehand author.

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_100414.jpg
    IMG_20220508_100414.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220508_100419.jpg
    IMG_20220508_100419.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220508_100410.jpg
    IMG_20220508_100410.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220508_100406.jpg
    IMG_20220508_100406.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
So I made this little pipe from one of this DIY molina briar kits. It's smokes surprisingly well. As for the design.... Well... It's a little odd! I was going for a cauldron shape as I often surmise that my little pipe is a steaming cauldron of delicious flavours. I hand carved it using a whittling /carving set and it took about 2 months to do sitting in front of the TV. Then stained it with burgundy leather stain and carefully inlayed 1mm brass wire into my signature celtic bear design which I then sanded smooth and polished. Then buffed it up using carnauba. The finish is... Ok. The briar grain is... Ok. Nothing to write home. About. But then for 25 dollars I can't complain. The finish. Not quite a mirror shine. I lined the inside with some carbon, Plaster of Paris , salt mix. Is it ugly? Yes hahaha. Does it smoke well? Yeah not bad. It does have a 9mm filter too a very deep bowl. Is it one a kind? Probably. Would I make the shape shape again. Lol. ?Never. Next one will be a curved freehand author.
Nice job sir!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
A very unique pipe. The fact that you used all hand tools to carve makes it an exceptionally fine accomplishment. I imagine carving the feet was the most difficult? I really like the inlay, very classy!
Hope it provides many fine smokes.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
A very unique pipe. The fact that you used all hand tools to carve makes it an exceptionally fine accomplishment. I imagine carving the feet was the most difficult? I really like the inlay, very classy!
Hope it provides many fine smokes.
Thank you :) everyone for your kinds words, i wasnt sure whether or not to post this particular project because well...the design is a bit unusual, but i thought what the heck. beauty is in the eye of the beer holder hehe. yeah the feet were the trickiest. I used a jewelers magnifying headset and a exacto scalpel to carve that and the grooves for the brass inlay. My dad was a mechanic/machinist and he taught me how to work with wood and fine metal work. something that has served me well over the years

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That's fun! How's the balance when it sits on the feet? We need a shot of it on the table with smoke wafting out of it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Splendid! Very fine work, and the unique shape makes it even better.

When I first viewed the inlay, I though it might be some ancient Celtic symbol, but, yeah, a bear it is.

When I saw the bottoms up pic of the feet, I though it could be a little piggy.

Reactions: Fralphog and Ag®o

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Title edited to capitalize all words. -jpm

Love it! Gorgeous. Big thumbs up.

Reactions: Bob the bear