PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Thank you! As an amateur pipemaker who thought about going into the profession in the 70s when I worked in a B&M pipeshop, but chose to pursue a career in the AF, I will look forward to my next trip to Minneapolis and a visit to his store. Our country slowly driving such artist out of business.
So I would guess you were an Eagle driver? I was an ECM tech on F-111's.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
So I would guess you were an Eagle driver? I was an ECM tech on F-111's.
Nope. A skypilot of a different breed -"Chaplain". I began and ended my career with the Happy Hooligans, a FW of the NDANG. In my civilian career I taught at NDSU in the Religion Department. I worked in PACAF as ANG Command Chaplain, then State Chief of Chaplains for ND before retirement. I don't know how many hours I logged in the T-33, F-4, and F-16, but when I was the Wing Chaplain I tried to fly more then a desk. Being in the AF was the greatest experience of my life putting me on every continent, including Antarctica. Thank you for your service. I always wanted to ride in the WSO seat in the Aardvark but never got the chance.

R

Rattray

It took longer then I expected, but given the situation nowadays...

I had these pipes in for some hand cut stems. A local pipe guy, Rich Lewis did the work. The Charatan had a stem that was offset a bit, and the Barnes had a black stem. I was looking for something a little different, so I sourced some SEM ebonite and had these restemed.

Top notch work. Red/Black 8 swirl on the 1984 Upshall, and Orange/Black 8 swirl on the Ken Barnes ‘K’.

View attachment 69886
Very nice choice of stem colors!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Nope. A skypilot of a different breed -"Chaplain". I began and ended my career with the Happy Hooligans, a FW of the NDANG. In my civilian career I taught at NDSU in the Religion Department. I worked in PACAF as ANG Command Chaplain, then State Chief of Chaplains for ND before retirement. I don't know how many hours I logged in the T-33, F-4, and F-16, but when I was the Wing Chaplain I tried to fly more then a desk. Being in the AF was the greatest experience of my life putting me on every continent, including Antarctica. Thank you for your service. I always wanted to ride in the WSO seat in the Aardvark but never got the chance.
OK, well I was going by the photo in your avatar.

The AF allowed me to travel to Denver CO, Mountain Home ID, Elmendorf AK, Biloxi MS, Hickham HI, Clark in the Phillipines, Lakenheath in the UK, Europe. Places I would have probably never ended up had I not been in the AF.

Reactions: ofafeather

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
OK, well I was going by the photo in your avatar.

The AF allowed me to travel to Denver CO, Mountain Home ID, Elmendorf AK, Biloxi MS, Hickham HI, Clark in the Phillipines, Lakenheath in the UK, Europe. Places I would have probably never ended up had I not been in the AF.
The Avatar is me as a 1st Lt on the steps of the Shooting Star after flying in the back seat at Gulfport, MS. F4s had to hunt us down over the Gulf. That T-Bird was a little sports car and could turn on a dime. No G-suits so you literally lost 10 lbs of water squeezed from every pore. ? I served at Hickam HQ and was in AK often. Most people don't know how big the Pacific is - but we do. ? Glad we belong to the club of pipe smokers.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The Avatar is me as a 1st Lt on the steps of the Shooting Star after flying in the back seat at Gulfport, MS. F4s had to hunt us down over the Gulf. That T-Bird was a little sports car and could turn on a dime. No G-suits so you literally lost 10 lbs of water squeezed from every pore. ? I served at Hickam HQ and was in AK often. Most people don't know how big the Pacific is - but we do. ? Glad we belong to the club of pipe smokers.
OK, well it looked like an F-15 canopy. Guess I don’t remember that well after all these years. I saw a 33 come in back in 1981 on the flightline at Mtn. Home, some General was flying it. A the time I didn’t know they were still flying. Lots of good memories...