Hand Carved Munalli Sandblast With Pictures.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The second of the two pipes from my latest Ebay win (the first being a Butz Choquin) is an unsmoked hand made 'freestyle' pipe from an obscure carver known only as Munalli. It is stamped "For Carmignani Roma" which was (possibly still is) a well respected tobacconist in Rome where the likes of Fritz Becker and Baldo Baldi first sold their pipes.
I can find next to nothing of this Munalli chap nor can I find any image of any other pipes he made. He was apparently active in the 1970's and possibly 1980's.
As can be seen it is of a style typical of era and has a beautiful sandblast that really shows the stunning grain of the pipe. It is rather large, giving a good hour and a half smoke and is surprisingly light for its size. The only fault I have with the pipe is the colour which I can only describe as being 'turd brown' 8O
7x13-600x400.jpg

9x9-600x400.jpg

10x6-600x400.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.
/1/files/album/14153/11x3-600x400.jpg
12x2-600x400.jpg

13x-600x400.jpg

14x2-600x400.jpg

15x1-600x400.jpg

If anyone has any information on this carver or actually has a pipe made by him then I would love to hear from you.
Regards,
Jay.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
That's a beautiful pipe.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Munalli there is only this.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice looking pipe. The picture of him on pipedia shows him wearing dark glasses like he didn't want anyone to recognize him. I'm sure there's a fascinating story behind the man.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Cortez. Interestingly the pipe shown on the Pipephil page is also stamped 2S which has me wondering what it relates to as its certainly not the shape.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just saw this. Fine find! As to the color, it will change, and you can speed it up a tad by a few applications of mineral oil and wrapping your hand around it as you smoke.
Bellissimo!

May 4, 2015
I picked up a pipe with a very similar colored finish and a rustication that I could only describe as "scrotal." I stripped the finish best I could with alcohol and as John said, applied mineral oil and have been smoking the dickens out of it. It's been coloring very nicely and I'm happy with it. Mineral oil, smoke, handling and time make for a fine finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.