PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
20200402_132924.jpg
I was excited to break into my stash of Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster today when I was met by the enemy. To be honest, I knew this could happen. Last year a friend and I opened a 250g bag of HV that I paid for 1/3rd of. When we cut open the foil package we saw a similar white fuzzy spot. I know, I know, visible mold means it's all infected, but I wanted to have hope that some was salvageable so I took a few flakes from the opposite side. I smoked two of the flakes and thought they seemed ok but haven't touched them in a couple months. This spot looks nearly identical to the original spot but a little smaller and lighter. So I guess it's not a big surprise, but it sucks to lose a batch of hard-to-acquire tobacco. I thought about tossing the top flake and smoking the rest, but I can see everything beneath the spot has turned grayish.
-Into the trashcan it goes.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Geez. I hope my few tins are ok. I really like this blend.

Mike S.
Mine came from a 250g bag so unless you have a tin that has puffed up, you're probably okay. It's great stuff, but I probably won't be in a hurry to order more after this experience. ?

Reactions: BROBS

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
View attachment 24918
I was excited to break into my stash of Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster today when I was met by the enemy. To be honest, I knew this could happen. Last year a friend and I opened a 250g bag of HV that I paid for 1/3rd of. When we cut open the foil package we saw a similar white fuzzy spot. I know, I know, visible mold means it's all infected, but I wanted to have hope that some was salvageable so I took a few flakes from the opposite side. I smoked two of the flakes and thought they seemed ok but haven't touched them in a couple months. This spot looks nearly identical to the original spot but a little smaller and lighter. So I guess it's not a big surprise, but it sucks to lose a batch of hard-to-acquire tobacco. I thought about tossing the top flake and smoking the rest, but I can see everything beneath the spot has turned grayish.
-Into the trashcan it goes.
If it's not too late... What about loosely wrapping it up and sticking it onto the dashboard of your car for a week. The the sun may help. My thinking is that the slow gentle heat would kill the mold spores and stop it in it's tracks. In any case that's a shame.
Condolences.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If it's not too late... What about loosely wrapping it up and sticking it onto the dashboard of your car for a week. The the sun may help. My thinking is that the slow gentle heat would kill the mold spores and stop it in it's tracks. In any case that's a shame.
Condolences.
There was a spot of mold on top of the stack when we opened the bag months ago, and I hoped that taking some flakes from the bottom of the opposite end would be ok. I placed it in an empty tin and told myself if it ever comes back that means the mycelium had infected the whole bunch. I do think UV, heat, and air would probably kill it, but it's possibly aspergillus and I don't really want to smoke that. I'm usually pretty careless about these things and I'll smoke plumey dusty white tobacco without a second thought, but I gotta draw the line at fuzzy circular patches.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.