PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
hi guys i tried using Halycon II for the first time and it seems to work well but there are these white deposits on the rustication. how do i take care of it? I tried using a blow drier but it won't melt the wax deposits. Any ideas?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 with BB
When it comes to sandblasts and rustication, I don't apply Halcyon directly to the pipe. Instead, apply a small amount, about 1/2 the size of a pea, to the palm of one hand, spread it around, and, after a moment, begin lightly rubbing the pipe with the material. I continue to rub the pipe in both hands until the Halcyon sets up. I get a brilliant shine and avoid build up in the crevices.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
#1 on all the ideas, I use a round toothpick. Won't scratch pipe and is very effective in removing same. The key is as sable said use very little, thanks Jesse didn't think about buttering your hands.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
As BB said,using to much is what causes this problem. I've used it on hundreds of pipes with good results. I use a tiny brush to apply it. Just a tiny dab on the brush and work it into all the nooks and crannies,doing one area at a time. When the nooks and crannies are taken care of rub the outside of the bowl with you hands to smooth it out and remove excess. Let it dry and buff with a soft brush getting down into all the nooks and crannies, and finish off with a soft cotton or micro fiber cloth. I use a soft toothbrush and/or a clean shoe brush.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
thanks Jesse didn't think about buttering your hands.
It was an accidental discovery. I used to use a cloth to polish and was never entirely satisfied with the result that I got. Then I was rubbing a pipe with my fingertips using some very dried out remnant in the jar (frugal to a fault) and low and behold, brilliance!

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
used the toothpick and got a lot of the gunk off. Thanks! BTW tried buttering my hands on another pipe and it worked like a charm! BTW can you use halycon like caranuba? should i put multiple coats if one coat doesn't make it shine?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
should i put multiple coats if one coat doesn't make it shine?
According to the manufacturer, you can. Just use the smallest amount possible. I've done two coats, a couple of days apart. What I've noticed is that too much of this stuff and the surface gets a gummy feel to it, not what you want to have happen.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, just like carnuba wax a little goes a long way. Once in the nomenclature, careful work with an old, worn toothbrush helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.