PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Planning on buffing pipes with a low power electric buffer
Do I buy white diamond, and other rouges, beeswax bar?
or do I just buy some Halcyon and/or Paragon
I'll buy some micro-mesh for the stems - but what type of substances do I need to employ?
I want to get an uber-shine though I'm no pro -

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
The compounds are probably no good unless you can achieve between 1800-2400 rpm (This is optimal for 6 inch wheels, there’s a conversion chart somewhere for 8 inch or 4 inch...)

I sprung for a buffing wheel, and my first was great, til it burned out. My second is a workhorse too, I’ve a Grizzly 1/2 Horsepower variable speed.
They make an economy version 3/4 Hp variable speed, but you’d need to mount extensions for the wheels and mount on a swivel or pivot, as the machine is quite short/low profile.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I can get a mirror shine on my vulcanites with micromesh and white diamond compound applied on a cloth by hand. Then treat with Obsidian and finish with Paragon wax.

I also use the Novus plastic polish kit for my acrylics: https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UD0GIG?ref_=ast_sto_dp. They're basically 2 sizes of compound suspended in liquid plus a non-abrasive silicon polish. The 2 abrasive bottles work equally well on vulcanite and will also give me a mirror finish.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use both Paragon and Halcyon waxes and get a mirror like shine every time. But, I don't follow the directions to use a cloth. I literally hand rub the polish in my hands. I'll apply a tiny amount on my fingertips and rub it over the pipe, wait for it to set up, then briskly an lightly rub the surface with my fingers and the palms of my hands, letting the polish rub against itself until I get a mirror finish. Works every time.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Recently I have been using Mark Hoover's "Before and After Restoration Balm" (website I_bepen.com) which I read about on Rebornpipes.

If I'm cleaning an estate, I use it with micromesh pads.
If buffing up a pipe after a smoke, I use a small amount impregnated onto a soft cloth.

I don't use mechanical buffers (too dangerous for a klutz like me. I've had bowls and stems flying across the room on my 1st and only attempt some years ago). Just elbow grease.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Status
Not open for further replies.