PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’ve only ever had a couple.. can’t remember the specific models. Both had Cameroon wrappers (my favorite). Flavor wise they were decent, 3.5/5.
One of them started to come unwrapped around the label and it became an issue. The other stayed together fine. I’d probably smoke them more frequently but no local shops carry them.

Reactions: pitchfork

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Famous Smokes, 10 for 47$, another one for 57$; 12, Cigars, didn’t think 2 exrea Smokes was worth 9$ more, I have dealt with these people and like their shop.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
For years H Upmann was my go to cigar. About the time Cameroon wrapper became scarce/non-existent, I started smoking mostly Cubans. Coincidentally, H Upmann is my favorite Cuban, as well. I agree with mikestanley, the Vintage are the best choice in the present day H Upmann. I just don‘t feel the non-Cameroon wrapped cigars live up to the Upmann name. I still have a couple of boxes worth of now 34 year old Upmann’s from the birth of my second daughter. I save them for special occasions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Man, I remember when handing out cigars was standard practice on he birth of a child. My dad did it for each of his three, though I wasn't around or sentient enough for either of the first two.

Reactions: danimalia and dcon

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Man, I remember when handing out cigars was standard practice on he birth of a child. My dad did it for each of his three, though I wasn't around or sentient enough for either of the first two.
I did it for the first three daughters (1. Dunhill Montecruz Petit Coronas, 2. H Upmann Coronas and Churchills, 3. H Upmann Churchills). By the time the fourth daughter rolled around, 16 years after the first, I did not have a bunch of friends that (still) smoked cigars, so, I went with the chocolate foil cigars. I didn’t want to part with any of my Cubans, either, which were harder to come by in those days.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I agree with mikestanley, the Vintage are the best choice in the present day H Upmann. I just don‘t feel the non-Cameroon wrapped cigars live up to the Upmann name.
I really like the AJ Fernandez blend. They are a great middle of the road cigar at a good price point. I’ve smoked dozens of them in the last year and never had anything but a perfect draw. The yellow label are a solid milder stick. ?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
For years H Upmann was my go to cigar. About the time Cameroon wrapper became scarce/non-existent, I started smoking mostly Cubans. Coincidentally, H Upmann is my favorite Cuban, as well. I agree with mikestanley, the Vintage are the best choice in the present day H Upmann. I just don‘t feel the non-Cameroon wrapped cigars live up to the Upmann name. I still have a couple of boxes worth of now 34 year old Upmann’s from the birth of my second daughter. I save them for special occasions.
Never had H Upmann cigars but years ago had tried Cuban H Upmann pipe tobacco, thinking it might be cool to try Cuban pipe tobacco. 1 bowl and into the trash can it went.:)

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
One thing that I miss about cigars before the 90’s boom is that, if you liked a particular brand in a cigar, you could expect a similar taste profile throughout the range. For example: all the old Upmanns had Dominican filler, Dominican binders, and Cameroon wrappers. A Corona Major was not that much different in taste (smokeability, yes) than a Churchill or Panetela. If you look at Upmanns (like many brands) today, the wrapper could be Indonesian, the binder be Mexican, and the filler be a combination of Brazilian, Nicaraguan, and God knows where. The international marriage of these cigars has done nothing to improve their taste or promote brand loyalty. This is one of the main reasons I stick, mostly, to Cubans. Yes, there are differences, even within brands, but, I generally know how long a particular cigar, in a brand, in a size; should rest, when it should be best smoked, and (most importantly) how it should taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had a few enjoyable Cubans, but perhaps not the "right" ones. For a dependable smoke at a reasonable price, I've always found sticks from the DR reliable. But I'm not a big cigar smoker, so no authority. The DR's are strong enough, mellow enough, and flavorful enough for me. But boy, one or two cigars and I can get 20 or 25 smokes from a premium tin of pipe tobacco. Okay, I'm a little tight with my tobacco money.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've had a few enjoyable Cubans, but perhaps not the "right" ones. For a dependable smoke at a reasonable price, I've always found sticks from the DR reliable. But I'm not a big cigar smoker, so no authority. The DR's are strong enough, mellow enough, and flavorful enough for me. But boy, one or two cigars and I can get 20 or 25 smokes from a premium tin of pipe tobacco. Okay, I'm a little tight with my tobacco money.

You aren't alone. I find cigars to be very much cost prohibitive. I generally smoke cigars on the golf course, I've found several JR Cigar Alternatives that do a nice job. At about $2.50/stick, they are also a good value.

Mike S.

Reactions: dcon

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Man O' War Puro Authentico Corona! A huge favorite of (I believe) Russ Os and I've loved them for years. Found them on sale @CI today for $49.00 and had to snatch a box of ten...

Status
Not open for further replies.