PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I personally have not found anything offered from Sutliff to be good
I tried a few of their Private Stock blends and my opinion is, the more private they stay the better. It was like smoking hot air, even the English blend I tried.
The one exception is their match for Edgeworth RR. It's about on par with Lane's reintroduction but I don't have to buy a huge can of it.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
I too read all the hatred and grousing about #79. I decided to order a pouch as our local "Smoke Shop"(literally in an old Photomat) only had an extremely over priced 14oz tub on hand. I'm sorry, I'm not dropping $75.00 on a bet like that. My pouch arrived in the mail and honestly due to all the bad press it has received, I was afraid to smoke it. I finally got my courage up and smoked a bowl. My head didn't explode, running sores didn't develop, and my tongue wasn't scorched. I got a little aroma and no taste... at first. It took a few bowls and one day I was mowing the lawn with a cob full of the stuff and something happened. I guess I was able to sip it really slowly almost to the point of it going out, but suddenly I started tasting and smelling this great flavor and aroma. By the time I finished the pouch I was in love with the stuff. I have another pouch now waiting in the wings until I can wade through the stockpile of other blends I got in preparation for the tobacapocolypse. When that's thinned out a bit I think #79 will be my go to aromatic. I've yet to try Velvet though....

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad you enjoyed it. Way too much hate for this blend. With all the bad reviews, I had to try it just to see if it was as bad as the reviews would lead one to believe. I found that I love it as well.
img_20160822_001433-337x600.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
OTC- Old Tobacco Control.....it's the shit they pick up off the floor from the cigarette factory and distribute it at low cost, of course they spray the crap down with flavoring to off set the horrible tobacco. May not be the case.....but damn I've noticed the horrible quality of tobacco in these OTC's and I'm not going back.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
OTC- Old Tobacco Control.....it's the shit they pick up off the floor from the cigarette factory and distribute it at low cost, of course they spray the crap down with flavoring to off set the horrible tobacco. May not be the case.....but damn I've noticed the horrible quality of tobacco in these OTC's and I'm not going back.
Glad I'm not the only one not romanticizing the codger blends. Codgers smoked them because they were cheap (the tobacco and the codgers).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shutterbug, I'd take a more evenhanded angle on this. These old blends are not premium blends, and some of the casings and flavorings are heavy handed, and in my case, can give some chemical burn. But the codgers and others who smoke them for years aren't masochists, and many get some satisfaction from them. Some of these (mostly) guys may be cheap, but some of them are just thrifty and living within their means and enjoying a pleasure they can afford. So I unquestionably like my Tabac-Manail Semois and my GL Pease, Russ O., and Cornell & Diehl ... Mac Barens, Dunhill and McClellends, etc. But I sometimes enjoy some of the old standard blends and find some of them pretty good, after all. Romanticizing? Maybe not so much. Some of us may double back around and find a few of these we can enjoy, if the selection gets culled.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
There are certainly those who romanticize such blends, but my original post was actually an attempt at de-romanticizing Mixture 79--to my palate, it's neither a scary bogey-man or a quintessential blend, but rather simply one aromatic among thousands.

Status
Not open for further replies.