H.L. Savory & Co. Ltd. Pipes as Smokers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGV

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
What do you mean second thoughts of smoking it? It’s not a highly collectible pipe but it’s a nice pipe and Savory’s are usually excellent smokers.

I like it too and saw it a week ago or more but the fills kind of put me off and they looked a bit odd to me. I bet if you wax the pipe they would be less noticeable. You’ll have some oxidation to work off the stem ?
I've always been drawn to what most people would call imperfection. I in fact I really like the green fills. From the research I did this pipe is probably not a dunhill second hand argyl pipe are in fact seconds. Non the less I would like this to sit until I find out more about it

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
7C41FC74-10AA-4194-95D5-1B6B83F28E5A.jpeg
So you’re telling me a Savory isn’t a Dunhill second yet it’s the exact same shape as a Dunhill, with obvious fills?

if I were you I’d be arguing that it was, because if it’s not a Dunhill second would be worth even less IMo.

KGV

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
View attachment 18461
So you’re telling me a Savory isn’t a Dunhill second yet it’s the exact same shape as a Dunhill, with obvious fills?

if I were you I’d be arguing that it was, because if it’s not a Dunhill second would be worth even less IMo.
[/QUOTE
I am definitely not in this hobby to make a buck. Since I'm new to this hobby I'm more intrigued in the history of pipes.I finished making my first pipe today. It may not be up to anyone else's standard but it will probably sit next to the savorys. I personally like smoking out of my stanwell.

Attachments

• 20200206_120338.jpg
    20200206_120338.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: trubka2

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I have to be a little sketchy on this because I’m traveling and have minimal access to my records but here are some quick notes:

H L Savory was founded by Harry Lindsay Savory (1863-1921) sometime between 1885-1890 as an importer and retailer of cigars. William Frederick Hancock was Harry’s early partner in the business but departed in 1896. Savory began manufacturing cigarettes fairly early, and later licensed the brand to a US group in 1907 (this lasted a couple of years before going under). The business continued to operate after Harry’s death in 1921 under the direction of his son Harry Littleton Savory (1902-1977) and, I strongly suspect, Harry’s widow, second wife Lydia Gertrude Savory.

Here the story gets a bit murky and evidence conflicts; one source says Dunhill bought the business shortly after Harry Lindsay’s death in 1921, another says the acquisition was in 1932 when the company had entered bankruptcy. The latter seems much more likely for numerous reasons. In any case the son, Harry Littleton, continued to be involved in the company until the mid-1930s, after which he emigrated from England for good.

I have seen no evidence that the shop sold pipes, let alone manufactured them, before Dunhill purchased the business. It might be true nonetheless but can’t be supported by any information available to me. The earliest proof I have of Savory branded pipes dates to the second half of the 1930s, although someone with a good run of Dunhill catalogs would be able to address this question more authoritatively. Interestingly enough the famous Baby’s Bottom pipe tobacco dates from the same period.

Given the timing of the appearance of Savory pipes in fancy goods brand directories my personal guess, and it’s only that, would be that Dunhill extended the Savory brand to pipes as a means of leveraging its acquisition of a control position of Hardcastle in 1936. This would suggest that Savory pipes began as a product of the Hardcastle factory, not Parker or Dunhill. To repeat this is only theorizing, not assertion let alone fact.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I have to be a little sketchy on this because I’m traveling and have minimal access to my records but here are some quick notes:

H L Savory was founded by Harry Lindsay Savory (1863-1921) sometime between 1885-1890 as an importer and retailer of cigars. William Frederick Hancock was Harry’s early partner in the business but departed in 1896. Savory began manufacturing cigarettes fairly early, and later licensed the brand to a US group in 1907 (this lasted a couple of years before going under). The business continued to operate after Harry’s death in 1921 under the direction of his son Harry Littleton Savory (1902-1977) and, I strongly suspect, Harry’s widow, second wife Lydia Gertrude Savory.

Here the story gets a bit murky and evidence conflicts; one source says Dunhill bought the business shortly after Harry Lindsay’s death in 1921, another says the acquisition was in 1932 when the company had entered bankruptcy. The latter seems much more likely for numerous reasons. In any case the son, Harry Littleton, continued to be involved in the company until the mid-1930s, after which he emigrated from England for good.

I have seen no evidence that the shop sold pipes, let alone manufactured them, before Dunhill purchased the business. It might be true nonetheless but can’t be supported by any information available to me. The earliest proof I have of Savory branded pipes dates to the second half of the 1930s, although someone with a good run of Dunhill catalogs would be able to address this question more authoritatively. Interestingly enough the famous Baby’s Bottom pipe tobacco dates from the same period.

Given the timing of the appearance of Savory pipes in fancy goods brand directories my personal guess, and it’s only that, would be that Dunhill extended the Savory brand to pipes as a means of leveraging its acquisition of a control position of Hardcastle in 1936. This would suggest that Savory pipes began as a product of the Hardcastle factory, not Parker or Dunhill. To repeat this is only theorizing, not assertion let alone fact.

Thank you very much for the edification, John! Fascinating, as always.

Reactions: KGV

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've looked, but haven't seen any reliable evidence of that. Did I miss something? They were owned and distributed by Dunhill, but that's different.
I have a box they came in with a paper that says they are manufactured by Dunhill.
I'm going to try to find it tonight to put this to bed.

it also came with a pamphlet on Dunhill tobaccos.

KGV

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
I have a box they came in with a paper that says they are manufactured by Dunhill.
I'm going to try to find it tonight to put this to bed.

it also came with a pamphlet on Dunhill tobaccos.
Yours may very well be the argyle brand

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I will look today. It’s not a brand, Argyll is the model and Savory is the brand. Why would only one line of a whole brand be seconds of another brand ?

KGV

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
I will look today. It’s not a brand, Argyll is the model and Savory is the brand. Why would only one line of a whole brand be seconds of another brand ?
I look forward to seeing the information you have

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well the paper that came with a pipe must have been with one of the two or three I sold. It listed Dunhill address as Savorys address.
899F660D-E07F-4476-886C-CFA6E1A8A88D.jpeg297479B5-879B-456D-A9E8-3705800226DE.jpeg

KGV

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
Not me - the prices would jump. They're (mostly) really good smokers, and I've yet to spend more than 25 bucks on one. One of my very best pipes is a tan smooth Argyll Dublin I think I paid 7$ for.
True or not! I have read the dunhill is a much more enjoyable smoke than most pipes. I'm not sure I like this hobby yet so I will continue buying cheap pipes. Thanks for the information guys.

Reactions: BROBS

alittleton

Lurker
May 5, 2014
Central Florida

C0610EA9-EDE7-4D7A-8768-A78C402B88E7.jpeg
Just received this estate Argyll, so I’m following along for any updates. Great info!

Status
Not open for further replies.