PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
PAD struck, I went to B&M to browse Peterson's but their selection was meh.

Poked around the basket pipes and found a rusticated ebony pipe that caught my attention

is labeled H.I.S. Italy was just wondering if anyone knew anything about them. Info on web is

sparse to say the least. Trying to get some good pics but camera has a mind of it's own at the moment. :?:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
My first pipe that my wife bought me was a H.I.S. (it was bought 2 months ago lol Aug 1) Mine is a damn good smoker but the stem resists a pipe cleaner like a school girl. I don't have a good pic of it but eventually I will.
Good bang for your buck if you like the way it looks.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
I bought an HIS churchwarden. The price is the lowest I could find for a churchwarden, so don't expect high quality briar but I really like it. I do get a bit of gurgle from it sometimes.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I had one - which I gave away. It smoked fine and it was not bad looking either.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Just curious since this is my first. Are these pipes known for having a "knob" in the bowl. Mine has a little fingerlike projection opposite the draft hole. I considered cutting it out and filling with pipe mud but wasn't sure if maybe it was a design thing.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
003.jpg

Finally got my camera fixed, here is pic of my latest PAD acquisition.
--About the fingerlike projection: It came out when I was scooping out the dottle.

Haven't noticed anything different since,still smokes as well as it did...does gurgle a

little more but I think that is more technique than function.
Edit: simplified your photo post so it shows correctly. L

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
All these pipes together with brands like generic Italy and so, are probably for the export,guess mainly for the american market.Usually we don't see them in tobacco shops here in Italy.Italian smokers are a very small people and looks at medium cost or expensive brands,strange but that's the truth

Maurizio

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I just bought a H.I.S. pipe and having my first smoke. The shape is full bent apple, the only shape I smoke. It has a large bowl, but the stem is slightly short and it the perfect shape. It is smoking very nicely right now, PS Navy Flake, and I think this is a fine addition to my rotation of pipes. I will check for the"knob" in the bowl when I finish.
pentangle - thanks for the Italian point of view, that is and interesting observation - with the low end or the high end in pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.