PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdtakacs1

Lurker
Feb 29, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Hi Gents -

One of my first pipes is an H.I.S billiard. It smokes great and I purchased it while my father in law was tagging along with me so while it is rather inexpensive it does have some sentimental value.

But I noticed the other day my stem was awfully easy to get out and sure enough, there's a hairline crack in it. Is there an easy way to repair (j.b. weld maybe :) ) or should I just smoke it until it doesn't smoke anymore?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cdtakacs1

Lurker
Feb 29, 2020
If aesthetics don't bother you, yes some JB weld or similar should work, or even crazy glue for that matter.

If you really love the pipe you could get a replacement stem for it.
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The piece that cracked is the female side of where the stem inserts into.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The piece that cracked is the female side of where the stem inserts into.
I have a Jeantet estate pipe that had a small crack in the shank right at the mortise. It was about 3/16" long. I removed the stem and then applied a little crazy glue on the crack (outside stem, not inside mortise) with a toothpick and let it dry.

Reactions: seanv

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Super glue will crack with little added stress, because that is a big stress point. I had a skinny stem Refberg pipe that cracked, and super glue cracked three more times with little added stress.

Just band it. I've done two myself, and while it was hard to do, I got it done. At walker pipe repair, its $18 for a nickel band and $27 for a silver one plus shipping. Once it is done, it will last forever.

Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.