PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Hello. I've got a question for you AnniKake smokers. I'm stating the following in case it matters on the age at the time it was tinned.
I opened up some of my Anniversary Kake and it was EXTREMELY moist. Like I could have squeezed it together and gotten juice if I pressed it hard enough (well almost). So I set some of out to dry for a few hours. I'm guessing it was newly made, I've never gotten tobacco that wet. It smoked really well after it was dried, but I found there's a "wine" taste that sort of covers my mouth. It isn't unpleasant but I felt like it hampered the overall taste and it's not something I'd purchase again. It's almost got a chocolate component to it. (I've smoked about 2 ozs of the stuff at this time.) I jarred about 14 oz of it to see if it would go away.
So my rambling question to you, is in your experience with it, did you get that same almost cloying taste on your batch? And is it something you think will go away after some years time? I can't add it to my cellar list yet because of that nagging taste.
I tend to prefer my VaPers either sweet/grassy/peppery or lightly citrus/mildly peppery. Again I liked the AK, but it feels topped with something too heavy and I'm hoping that will go away with time. I realize everyone's tastes are different but has anyone found this to be the case? Thanks.
TLDR: Does the wine taste in AnniKake go away with time?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You bought a pound of it without knowing what it tastes like? lol You re-define the leap of faith jah76.
I get the same cloying mouth feeling that you do. But I enjoyed it. It was very fruity, earthy, fig newton flavored, spiced apple.
Not sure if it goes away with time either. Havn't smoked mine in a few months.
Mine also arrived very moist. And since most of H&H's blends arrive pretty dry this had me scratching my head. but I remembered reading a while ago that Perique loses some of it's flavor if dried out too much. So I attributed it to that.
I'll smoke a bowl today and get back to you if I can remember lol.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
That's what happens when the 2 oz tins are all sold out!
So yeah. I bought 16 ozs. It was cheap. That's my only defense!
I was in cellar mode.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I ordered a 2 oz tin, and I swear even after days of leaving the lid cracked, it was still moist! It arrives verrrry wet. It is pretty different for a va/per. Very sweet, and smooth. I like the taste a lot, but it is was different from anything else i've had. (The H&H Burley Kake is kind of similar)
I will try some again and report back. Mine has been jarred for a few months now.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The reasons for the moistness are these- the rum flavoring, though light, adds to the moisture; it's pressed while moist to help it stay pressed so the moisture is trapped; and, yes, a little extra moisture is needed to keep the Perique from fading.
Russ

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I bought a pound of the bulk and it was very wet, have 2 tins coming so I guess I can expect the same. I was thinking the tin would be a little dryer, but those are going in for ageing and smoking the bulk. The old buy one to smoke and one to age.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I had a similar experience with a tin of Lousianna Red. Not rust, but much of the tobacco was plastered and stuck to the botton of the tin. It looked as if it was starting to oxidize or something.
No problems with any other tin though.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I jar anything in large containers and of course bulk, open tins get small jarred. I'm thinking about jarring all 50 gram tins if it's for long term storage, more oxygen when first sealed means more anaerobic activity and faster ageing. Still thinking about it… I do believe that AK is going to do something special ;)

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I wouldn't describe mine as moist ; but is was very soft. Smoked great and delicious.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I really appreciate the response Russ. I'm going to pop that bad boy out and give it another go in a few months. (It's like mailing your future self a birthday present from the past)
Appreciate the responses from everyone else too. That's a good note on aging the tin vs jar.
Okay let me hijack my own thread....
Does re-hydrated perique regain it's fullness? Or is it a case of once it's lessened, it's forever lessened?
Thanks in advance.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Does re-hydrated perique regain it's fullness? Or is it a case of once it's lessened, it's forever lessened?
I've not tasted a 5 or 10 year aged perique. There is claim that it's a certain type of tobacco, you can buy a seed called perique tobacco, but most think it's just the process. So if that's the case you're looking at a VA curing. So my assumption would be that the casing would mellow with the VA. I can see an argument that the casing would stand separate, but even then it's going to blend with the other VA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.