PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I have a Nording pipe...

20210623_092331.jpg

No matter what tobacco I put in it, I get excessive gurgling. The same tobaccos don't give me any problems in other pipes.

I haven't tried filters yet, not even sure this pipe can take a filter, but have tried the Nording Keystones, and still have the gurgling.

I've tried keeping it out of my mouth as much as possible, and that helps a little, I let it rest from 3 or 4 days to over a week, I stuff a paper towel in the bowl to sop up any moisture, but nothing seems to completely eliminate it.

I'm not (yeah, I am) blaming the pipe, but could this something inherent to this pipe, which I doubt, or am I just looking in all the wrong places?

Thanks!

Reactions: SpookedPiper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I feel like this proves something to me I have some weird instinct with pipes. I've never bought a clunker and when I've bought basket pipes through to high end pipes all have been great smokers minus issues. And before reading anything about the pipe it gave me a pain in the butt fight with you for a smoke vibe. Great looking pipe. And if I had it I'd smoke it and just live with the gurgles (when I first started every pipe gurgled, and I found it entertaining.) But my gut is saying the pipe is one of those cases where it just does what it does. If you want to fight with it and figure out what's wrong or throw up the white flag is all down to how much pain that pipe is worth to you.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Run pipe cleaner from the mortise to bottom of the chamber, and also from button to tenon. While at it, clean and dry out the mortise also with Q-tip or bent pipe cleaner.

Next time it gurgles, run pipe cleaner again. Soon, it will gurgle less. If not, dump the pipe.
I gets so wet, I go through both ends of two pipe cleaners each bowl I smoke. It's a real PITA.

I balk at the thought of dumping the pipe. Other than the gurgling, I really like it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You can overthink this problem ?
Dry the tobacco as much as you can.
Pipe cleaners are cheap and only takes a couple of seconds to use. Use as many as needed and try to enjoy the smoke.
If time and money is not an issue, send the pipe to @georged to work out and correct the mortise-tenon interface ?

Last edited:

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Just a note on photos- dark pipes on light backgrounds are difficult unless you can spot expose for the pipe only.
What can I say, it's my phone camera.
Is the Nording your only briar pipe?
Yes it is, and I just tried a bowl with some flake tobacco I let dry to the point it was about to snap, brittle almost. Less than half way through, it's already gurgling. This is really frustrating.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Mystery solved! You've been inadvertently enjoying the natural wicking abilities of both corn cobs and meerschaum. Briar takes a bit more finesse.
So...what you're really saying is...sucks to be me, lol!

While I don't like it, I can see the reasoning. At least now I know.

Do you think it will ever get better, and is there anything I can do to make it go away, or lessen it?

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So...what you're really saying is...sucks to be me, lol!

While I don't like it, I can see the reasoning. At least now I know.

Do you think it will ever get better, and is there anything I can do to make it go away, or lessen it?
You're good brother. :)

If it were that hard there wouldn't be so many old, estate pipes. Just hang in there and enjoy the ride. I have one that gurgles. It's a Kaywoodie 13b. I just have to be careful.