Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 25, 2021
England
I have a Tommaso Spanu pipe, a flare root, red canted briar.
I've had it for about a year, and have smoked something like 100 bowls in it.
Today I went over the park for my usual early afternoon smoke, and halfway through I noticed some kind of resin or gunge on the rim.
I managed to scrape it off with my thumb nail.
Could it be that the sap is only just starting to come out of it ?
I decided to put it on a a sunny windowsill in the hope that will sweat it out.
Has anybody got any other ideas ?
Also, does anybody know what flare root Briar is ? I googled it but came up with nothing concrete.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jun 25, 2021
England
I call it rim creep, when the tars that make up the cake start to move upward out of the pipe, probably flowing the rise of the heat. It's not the same thing as rim char, which is the scorching of the rim, from using a lighter carelessly. It comes off easy with some spit on a rag, or coffee and a napkin.
I only allow a very small amount of cake to build up, but all the same there is cake, and your explanation make sense.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
water and a paper towel or rag clears that up pretty quick. I personally feel the same way about that gunge (which to me sounds like a cross over musical genre grunge and easy listening, never said it sounded like a good genre) as I do about cat scratched couches. I feel a warm feeling when I see it, I feel this is a pipe that is loved and this is a home not just a house.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I call it "lava" ... my pipes tend to get that on the rear part of the rim, and little in front, it may be my smoking technique, I don't know. Any road, I am with cosmic on this one, a bit of spit takes you a long way. I always thought that it's from the smoke that comes out by the edge of the rim from retrohaling, and not the cake, but I don't really have a scientific explanation for it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kcghost
Jun 25, 2021
England
water and a paper towel or rag clears that up pretty quick. I personally feel the same way about that gunge (which to me sounds like a cross over musical genre grunge and easy listening, never said it sounded like a good genre) as I do about cat scratched couches. I feel a warm feeling when I see it, I feel this is a pipe that is loved and this is a home not just a house.
From now on I shall venerate rim gunge, and sing an ode of Joy to it ?

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I regularly clean all of my pipes with warm water and soap, inside and out. Stems removed, as most are vulcanite.

A shank brush and suds does an amazing job for the bowl and shank. Keeps the cake nice and thin and rock hard when dry. Never had a problem in years of that treatment.

1. They smoke as fresh as the day I bought them, which is a real bonus for me

2. They look as great as the day I bought them

The only trick I found was to give them a light coat of mineral oil or obsidian stem oil. Haven't had a finish run off or anything awful. Bamboo, meerschaum, briar... anything but vulcanite.

Probably the best routine I've ever come across for pipe smoking, but a lot of people flinch here if you say water and pipe in the same sentence. Toss in soap suds, and I don't know, maybe heads explode.

But it works great if you like a fresh pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
All of the "scrub with a dampened paper towel" variations work well (the digestive enzymes in saliva actually make spit more fast-working than most, in fact), but ONLY if the crud/creep/lava is removed BEFORE the acids it contains strip the finish underneath.

How long does that take to happen? Depends on too many variables to predict, but it WILL happen eventually in every case. Once it gets through, its removal---which by then requires sanding or scraping, it is effectively insoluble---will expose raw wood.

Keeping it off preventively with a scrubby wipedown after every smoke or three is the obvious and easy solution.