PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hey guys, I'm a guitar player myself. Wondering if there are any more here than me? My point is that I don't have any pipe cleaning solution, or wax etc. But what I do have is guitar polish, and lemon oil for guitars. Does any body have an idea if either of these are good or bad for a pipe?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Fellow strummer here. I had not thought about guitar polish for pipes but it should work. I'd stay away from the lemon oil. I also use Dr. Duck's on my guitars and think it would be good for pipes too. I'll try some on one of my beater pipes to see how things go.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
15 year player here. Guitar polish!? Meh, just rock them and let them get dirty! ;)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I was the worst guitar player in the world; my dog used to head for the basement every time I picked up my Les Paul copy. I did try Martin's Guitar polish without any effect.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Fellow picker here too. No guarantees, but I would think guitar polish would work. I would definitely stay away from the lemon oil. For one, because of the citric acid, and also because of the lemon itself. If it soaked into the bowl, you might end up with a lemon flavored/scented pipe.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
I use a buffer and wax on my pipes but spit and a t shirt on my guitar.
I think your best net would be some of the briar wax they sell at some of the online pipe shops.
Good luck!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I have a guitar repair book written by Martin's main repair guy. And he says, while he would never use it on a customer's guitar, saliva is the best guitar cleaner he knows of.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I can agree with that. I've never used anything more on my guitars than spit and a rag. I can't say much about polish. Maybe you can try spitting on your pipes? Hah. :puffy:

dannybeans

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
Northern Indiana
I've been playing for about 13 years now. My guitar has a satin finish, so beyond the occasional bit of olive oil on the frets, it doesn't get any kind of treatment. It has picked up a lovely luster where I rest my arm, though - I like the bit of personality that adds. I know, I know - no help whatsoever. :)

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I would not use pipe polish on pipes. The finishes are very different. The guitar gloss often comes from lacquer, like a french polish technique, whereas pipe finish often consists of staining with an alcohol-based wood stain, high-grit sanding and buffing, in combination with a wax finish.
There are dedicated pipe polishing products, like Halcyon II / Paragon wax, or Denicare pipe bowl polish. They are readily available and not that expensive.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
Yes!
I only clean my guitars with water and a paper towel. If it gets really dry I'll use some conditioner on the neck (if it's rosewood). Using a humidor (in case) helps.
Briar seems to pick up oils pretty quickly. I'm new so I can't say but it seems you shouldn't have to treat your pipe with oils.
Eh, what do I know.
Pat

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah I should just buy some pipe wax, etc. But I will never spit on my guitars!!! Do you guys spit on your favorite old cars? Would you spit on your best friends? :)

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
as hfearly said, guitar finishes and pipe finishes are very different. I would keep guitar products away from my pipes. Now smoking while I'm playing never fails to look cool.

I do use a little saliva if I get a build-up on the rim of my pipe though. Takes it right off, right quickly and doesn't seem to harm the finish. And yes, I have spit on my guitars. lol. I've been playing for over 20 yrs and I figure if my guitars look perfect, I haven't used them enough.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
We should have a Piper Rocker get together.
I'm in Chicago, my brother is in St Louis, let's get together!
P.S. My brother is also a smoker.
We'll probably meet in the St Louis area.
Anyone?

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I would definitely keep the cleaners separate. I wish I had smoked a pipe back in my days of playing for a living. I'd rip some blues while smoking away!
Love this picture of one of my all time favorites smoking...
StevieRayVaughn.jpg

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
+1 on that mrjerke! I've always loved the pipe Stevie Ray had at the Tokyo concert in '85

Status
Not open for further replies.