PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I'm having a rough time getting a handle on McC's Blackwoods Flake. It's the most unmanageable flake I've smoked to date. I've tried both cube cutting and rubbing out (along with plenty of drying time). But I'm constantly relighting and never really getting a good draw. While I enjoy the flavor, it's just a pain in the ass to smoke. And I confess I don't like jumping through hoops prepping my tobaccos. Bit then again I'm lazy. Any tried and true methods for smoking this flake?

Aug 1, 2012
I dry it well and then rub out the "flake". It needs to be a bit drier than some other tobaccos to have a good burn. Roth also has suggested to leave the can open (with the little plastic lid on) for a week or 3 and popping the lid occasionally to check the moisture level. I could see that working with this tobacco.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Well, McClelland Vas can be stubborn, especially the really thickly cut flakes. I'd say to dry them even more, and pack the cubes lighter than you have so far. Often folks talk about how long they dry out a baccy when they should be talking about how dry the stuff actually is. Some blends (again, thick cut flakes for sure) take way longer to properly dry than you might think. Go by feel.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes, leave the tin with the lid on and pop it occasionally for a few weeks, I don't know why but it does wonders to it, flavour wise and smoking. After a few weeks rub out a flake and let it dry about 30 minutes and then happy smoking.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Roth also has suggested to leave the can open (with the little plastic lid on) for a week or 3 and popping the lid occasionally to check the moisture level.
That's the best thing you and do to McCelland Tobaccos they usually need a longer drying time over other tobaccos.

~Ron

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've found they need even a couple hours dry time. Then I rub out lightly, and enjoy. I used to dry baccy for 30 mins. Not so with McC flakes!

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I'm fairly certain I'm not drying this tobacco enough. I had a relatively good smoke yesterday with the BF, but had many relights. Today I had fewer relights but the stuff really bit. Incidentally, I used a different pipe. Dang it! Sometimes those reds bite.
A follow up question if I may: have any of you resolved bite issues by changing pipes? I have a problem with reds sporadically, which is too bad considering all the red Virgina I have cellared. I'll be steering clear of these for awhile, I think (at least until I can find a way to smoke them comfortably).

Aug 1, 2012
Yes. With reds, especially McC, the pipe can make a huge difference. It's not even necessarily the shape that will make the difference for me but the draw always will. Too open and they bite the crap out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.