PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Samuel Gawith and Gawith&Hoggarth make the finest pipe tobacco IMHO :D except firedance , this stuff is vile ?
I love Firedance, but I love it even more when mixed with a full Balkan!
If you're struggling to get through some, try a mix of 2 parts Balkan : 1 part Firedance.
Reminds me of Bengal Slices or Esoterica's Pembroke but with a blackberry note. I've enjoyed it mixed with Balkan Supreme, G&H Balkan Mixture, Balkan Sasieni, and Planta Mild English.
Another thing. I enjoy FD best about 3 months after the tin has been cracked. The topping doesn't really flash away, but it does mellow out a bit.

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
I love Firedance, but I love it even more when mixed with a full Balkan!
If you're struggling to get through some, try a mix of 2 parts Balkan : 1 part Firedance.
Reminds me of Bengal Slices or Esoterica's Pembroke but with a blackberry note. I've enjoyed it mixed with Balkan Supreme, G&H Balkan Mixture, Balkan Sasieni, and Planta Mild English.
Another thing. I enjoy FD best about 3 months after the tin has been cracked. The topping doesn't really flash away, but it does mellow out a bit.
Seem interesting to use it as a mixer with balkan , i will give this a try .

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The recipe for Grousemoor must have changed over the years.
My first tin of Grousemoor the topping was more overpowering than Ennerdale.
Once you let it air out just a bit, Grousemoor is more like a sweet tea, where smoking Ennerdale reminds me of chewing on gummy bears.

I can imagine Grousemoor would benefit a lot from ageing, it's just missing a bit of the sweet component that you would get with aged Virginia.
Grousemoor is like a high-quality tea with a bit of citrus oil waved over it. I am not sure what it is but it works for me. Really want to try the plug version. I hear it is a different beast. Also, mix 1 part of Grousemoor with 2 parts Rattrays Exotic Orange (or whatever it is called these days) for an amazing smoke.

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
It’s been awhile since I had it but I remember really enjoying it. Along th lines of University flake so the topping is present but not overpowering.
That's good to know. Many of the reviews seem to say that the topping is over the top and almost jammy. I have too much difficuly with flakes right now anyways. I'll get more pleasure once i figure out how to smoke the damn things well.

Reactions: mingc

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
That's good to know. Many of the reviews seem to say that the topping is over the top and almost jammy. I have too much difficuly with flakes right now anyways. I'll get more pleasure once i figure out how to smoke the damn things well.
As I mentioned, it’s been awhile and also the stocks do tend to vary. I tend to rub flakes out pretty much and also let them dry a good deal.

Reactions: mingc

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I'm confused with everyone's Grousemoor descriptions. I smoked a couple tins of it around 20 years ago. I don't recall any lemongrass, tea, or citrus, and it wasn't lightly scented at all. I thought it was an intense boutique bar of floral soap, like something my baba and her sisters used when I was a kid. It ghosted so bad you could smoke a couple more bowls of something else and pretend it was Grousemoor. I bet if I found the tin, it would still smell. I started out liking it and then it turned on me and the thought of the smell makes me nauseous.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I'm confused with everyone's Grousemoor descriptions. I smoked a couple tins of it around 20 years ago. I don't recall any lemongrass, tea, or citrus, and it wasn't lightly scented at all. I thought it was an intense boutique bar of floral soap, like something my baba and her sisters used when I was a kid. It ghosted so bad you could smoke a couple more bowls of something else and pretend it was Grousemoor. I bet if I found the tin, it would still smell.
Sounds absolutely brilliant. I have a Parker Baccyflap that itself is ghosted with beautiful Lakeland essence and when left inside can help to flavour a tobacco quite successfully.

Mar 1, 2014
Grousemoor is like a high-quality tea with a bit of citrus oil waved over it. I am not sure what it is but it works for me. Really want to try the plug version. I hear it is a different beast. Also, mix 1 part of Grousemoor with 2 parts Rattrays Exotic Orange (or whatever it is called these days) for an amazing smoke.
Mixing Grousemoor was one of my first thoughts, though Orange isn't quite what I had in mind.
Chances are the Plug would bring out more of the natural Aged Virginia flavor that I'm looking for.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm confused with everyone's Grousemoor descriptions. I smoked a couple tins of it around 20 years ago. I don't recall any lemongrass, tea, or citrus, and it wasn't lightly scented at all. I thought it was an intense boutique bar of floral soap, like something my baba and her sisters used when I was a kid. It ghosted so bad you could smoke a couple more bowls of something else and pretend it was Grousemoor. I bet if I found the tin, it would still smell. I started out liking it and then it turned on me and the thought of the smell makes me nauseous.
Indeed: "Fresh from the tin the first puff made me recoil from the pipe. Feels like you're being smothered in baby powder." is the tasting notes on my first bowl of Grousemoor.
But that's not the end of the story.

With Lakelands the first 10 minutes is an incomprehensible mess, but unlike almost every other blend out there, once enough of the topping has boiled off you're left with a lingering sweetness through to the end of the bowl. It's almost the complete opposite of American aromatics.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
To each our own taster/smellers. I confess that many times I will try a blend based on others' descriptions and I am left with a what the hell moment as nothing described by them exists on any plane for me with a given blend.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
To each our own taster/smellers. I confess that many times I will try a blend based on others' descriptions and I am left with a what the hell moment as nothing described by them exists on any plane for me with a given blend.
Agreed. I avoided Royal Yacht like the plague for years bc of all the negative comments. Finally tried it and was like “holy shit! Can’t believe I wasted 20 years not smoking this stuff!”

Jun 25, 2021
England
I agree with your experience. I have a plug of it and if it didn't smell so sickly I would put it in my bathroom as an air freshener. Maybe when I get another car I will tie it to the roof rack for a couple of years, see if that helps !

Reactions: rajangan