PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Well crap, the covid test this morning was positive. I'm fortunate that it's only as bad as a bad cold and not worse. Sorry Tim, I'll get to these reviews as soon as I'm able.
No worries. It’s important you take care of yourself. This is all I ask. Simple communication

Get well, the tobacco aging a little while longer only enhances it. Lol.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Ok.... after a long, hot holiday weekend I have some thoughts about the new Velvet. As a disclaimer, I'm not adept at writing, especially a review. I don't think I've ever really given a substantial review of a tobacco before.
My initial thoughts were to smoke the new and old in meers, cobs, and briars this weekend and then do a complete comparative analysis. However, with the family schedule and the heat I was only able to smoke the NEW Velvet this weekend. I smoked it in a meer and cob and this is the review for just the NEW. Old Velvet will be smoked througout the week in the same pipes so I can compare.

Thoughts.... I smoked it first in a bent meerschaum and it was really good. It was smooth (dare I say, "velvet") and it tasted very much like one of the cherry cordial chocolates. I tasted a bit of nuttyness and it was not overpowering on the sweet scale. It was a hint of cherry, not Cult Blood Red Moon cherry, if you know what I mean. The nuttiness and chocolate were intertwined on my palate. The retrohale is where I got the most flavor, but it was still very tasty on the initial draw.
Next, the NEW Velvet was tried in a standard MM cob billiard and all the same notes were observed, but I believe they may have been enhanced ever so slightly. Perhaps this is a Pavlovian response as I might be thinking subconsciously that cobs tend to make blends sweeter. Not a big difference in taste or draw at all in either pipe in my opinion.

The tobacco burned slow and very cool in both pipes. It was flavorful through the bottom of the bowl, although I tend to be a smoker who dumps the remaining dregs and dottle and doesn't always fuss around to get to "the fine white ash." Disclosure, I've never smoked Velvet before but I'm really glad I did. I really like this tobacco. I'm not particularly fussy about tobaccos for one reason or another but I do like this one. For me, I could see this being an enjoyable, mild all-day tobacco that is not too heavy on nicotine. I smoke for relaxation and to just intentionally slow down from the rat race of life. If looking for a heavy dose of nicotine, this might not be your thing.

Well, there it is. That's my initial thought on the NEW Velvet. Again, this week I'm going to try the old and give a similarly styled review over the upcoming weekend.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
It took me a while to write this due to work and family, but the upside is it gave me opportunities to smoke more bowls of this marvelous leaf.

I paused a second before opening the tin and marvelled at its excellent condition. I've had the good fortune to enjoy some old Clear Havanas before, but this is the oldest tobacco I've had the pleasure of smoking to date.

I started with the modern Velvet sample sent as I wanted to get my bearings and had never tried it. I was struck by the smell of liquer and anise and it took me back to when I was a child and drug stores would have an entire aisle of various pipe tobacco blends. I would walk down the aisle and smell the bags, noticing that while they all smelled good, the darker tobaccos smelled richer and better to my young nose. The smell of Velvet gave me an instant flashback to that. As a smoke, the topping distracts me some, but it's a good Burley.

My first try of the vintage Velvet was actually as a hand-rolled cigarette. It was later in the evening and the wife and I had been drinking our summertime special cocktail, Summer Downs (1:1:1-vodka:tonic:grapefruit juice). My palate had been beat down by a few cigars and I didn't want to approach this with a pipe that day. I read the label's byline and figured, "Why not roll a dart?" As a cigarette, it was remarkably smooth, but little in the way of flavor. The smell off the end of it was delectable, smelling faintly of leather.

In a cob pipe (my pipe of choice for Burlies and Burley blends), the vintage Velvet tasted of straight Burley and nothing but. It was earthy, woody, had almost a hint of sweetness, and was very relaxing to smoke. I love some Burlies for how simple they are - there was a semblance of character and depth to it, and I actually enjoyed it more than the fresh Velvet as an uncomplicated smoke. I did not experience any of the topping, and am curious as to how it compares with the modern sauce.

I look forward to finishing this irreplaceable vintage tin - in a paper and a pipe - and will definitely reuse the tin as a travel tobacco caddy. It's too easy to fill a pipe from this thing! I like the modern Velvet, too, and will add a couple tubs to some future order. Maybe I'll be around in a hundred years and can check in on how well it ages.

Thank you so much for this generous and fun offer! As I finish my way through the tin, I'll post an update regarding my final thoughts. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I previously posted a novice review of the newer Velvet that I smoked in a bent meer and a MM cob. To keep things equitable I smoked the antiquated Velvet in the same pipes. I will revisit the review with briars in the coming weeks to see if that makes any difference.

So, my thoughts on the vintage Velvet. In the meer it seemed to burn a little hot but it was not the best conditions once while outside and another time I had a dubious pack job going in the pipe. Perhaps that made it burn a little hot. The cob stayed cool throughout, but conditions were much better for the cob smokes. Regarding the flavor, I think the new Velvet seems to be more flavorful with chocolate and cherry notes. The vintage seemed to be more muted in a way that perhaps I can best describe as "cigarette" tobacco vs. "pipe" tobacco. I don't know if that will make any sense to anyone but the new Velvet was much more enjoyable in regards to flavor. The vintage seemed to me just more plain (due to age? due to a different blend recipe? I don't know).

All in all, I really enjoyed the newer Velvet. The older Velvet still serves a purpose and will be an enjoyable smoke when in the mood.

Again, I am really thankful for Tim asking us to test these out. I will continue to experiment with the new and old in different pipes and conditions and see if I can find some more information. If I do, I'll report back ASAP.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I had Velvet not too long ago. Didn't enjoy it. Well, let me take that back. There wasn't anything to enjoy. To me, it was like smoking air. But maybe, I would give it another chance since it's been awhile. After reading comparison reviews, maybe I was too quick to judge. Or not.

Reactions: JOHN72 and reloader

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had Velvet not too long ago. Didn't enjoy it. Well, let me take that back. There wasn't anything to enjoy. To me, it was like smoking air. But maybe, I would give it another chance since it's been awhile. After reading comparison reviews, maybe I was too quick to judge. Or not.
Most Codger blends are like that. But Velvet and Granger like “comfort food” I just load and go without even thinking.

Mind you, that’s how most tobacco is to me now, but these two are always in my go bag. Just in case.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Most Codger blends are like that. But Velvet and Granger like “comfort food” I just load and go without even thinking.

Mind you, that’s how most tobacco is to me now, but these two are always in my go bag. Just in case.
Well, Granger.. On occasions that I successfully smoke that blend, I do get blast of blueberry that's very distinct. SWR and its aromatic, I also get very pleasant flavor. Velvet was so mild, I didn't notice much of anything. But it was when I was going through OTC blends and dismiss Velvet after two bowls. We'll see how I'll like it this time.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I felt the same way when I tried it years ago and struggled to get through the pouch but I liked it a lot when I tried it for this tasting.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh man you guys are really trying to make me face the fact that I am freaking codger. That sounds really good to me. I already buy cases of five brothers, tubs of mixture 79, and need to buy a case of sail yellow. You guys thanks :)
Oh and all of those are favorites, not just like them a lot. They're up there with stuff like Key Largo and other GLP blends. Still hate captain black, but the seven seas are great. So basically a tin of velvet next time I order some tobacco (oh and semois cause I miss that too).

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
After three weeks of being bagged with a humidification device, I decided it was time to try the "rehydrated" version of the Ancient Velvet. I posted in WAYS, but, will share my notes here.

IMG_20220612_232033.jpg

As I mentioned in the WAYS thread, the tobacco didn't become supple like I had hoped after spending three weeks being bagged up with the Black Ice humidification wedge. I didn't expect it to be much different than the dried tobacco straight from the tin. As I'm smoking it now, I have to say, it does seem different than what I experienced three weeks ago. This "rehydrated" iteration doesn't give off the same mustiness as the dry version. It tastes somewhat sweeter than I remember, and the nutty quality is more forward. The soft cherry notes seem more melded with the faded anise notes; the Play-Doh/Dr. Pepper aspect still holds. As I smoke a bit more, I get more spice and pepper on the tongue, followed by the molasses and plum/prune (but, very light). The tease of lemon is integrated with those qualities. There's an astringent effect in my mouth that is not unlike eating walnuts (especially reinforced by the nutty aspect). It's not all that different than the dry version, but, I'm enjoying it a bit more. The different flavours seem a bit more combined. I might follow up with more thoughts after I finish smoking (I might be a third of the way into the bowl now).