PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Okay folks I'm going to conduct another group tasting experience. I'm going to have a total of 10 spaces, and 2 already are spoken for. So I need 8 more victims tasters.
The Laurel Flake is dated 1-12-05 and the St. James Flake is from 2014.
Rumor has it they are both the same tobacco (go to tobaccoreviews.com)
It was originally blended for Tavern Tobacco Co, but is no longer made. So technically its unobtainium.
So, here's how it works. PM me you name and address and I'll send you a sample of both. Taste them and report your findings to this thread.
I understand shit happens, but if you're leaving town, going to prison, have a big event coming up....don't ask for a sample. I'm generous, but don't ruin a fun thing by acting like an irresponsible 10 yr old.
Finally, I'd like to thank donjgiles for turning me onto this great unobtainable.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My palate is not that refined so I would be a waste of a space. Sounds like a good idea though. Looking forward to reading the results.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Really looking forward to this as a way to kick off my "Virginia" summer.
Definitely not a refined palate here either but hoping I can contribute a less experienced point of view.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
So what's the best way to compare two tobaccos? Light two similar pipes with the two baccys and puff a few times on one, then the other? Smoke one full bowl of one, then the other while senses are fresh? I'm think two at the same time, but curious what others will do as well. Thanks Ash for letting me be a part of your experiment!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
d4k23 I was honestly wondering the same thing. I have a couple pipes that mainly see use from Va or Va/Per blends, I’m thinking smoking out of two different pipes would be better than smoking one right after another in the same pipe? I’m planning on trying one, then waiting a few hours and drinking lots of water to cleanse the old palette before trying the other. I could be dead wrong, though. Never done a comparative tasting, myself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Freshly purged briars are just fine, and have some advantages over a new cob.
And, yes, loading two pipes, making sure the tobaccos are at the same moisture level, and alternating say for five minutes each seems a good start.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m looking forward to trying these and sharing my thoughts with you all. I just happen to be the mysterious 10th spot.
Thanks again, Ash, for including me.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
2 brand new cobs at the ready here. Going to load and smoke two at a time for my first bowls of the day, alternating between bowls every few minutes or so. Than later that day, going to smoke full bowls of each separately to determine any differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.