PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Here's an example of government justifying it's power.
Yeah, they were definitely looking to make an example out of someone in that situation.

In context though, it would be just that easy for them to roll in and shut down a tobacco co-op.

Jan 7, 2019
Well d**n. I’m reminded of my very last tins of FM OTT and Cellar. One of each. I honestly can’t decide whether or not to open them.
I wish I’d seen it coming, just like I wish I’d stocked up on Penzance. Not that I was ever head-over-heels for it, but have y’all seen the prices it’s listed at on eBay?
Co-op. Interesting idea, but I think so many people would ‘wait and see’ that it’d be hard to get it up and going... /shrug

1) This isn’t about you

I have me share of ignorance. My cup runeth over...

but, if I were going to start a coop of underground tobacco farmers, I would do it right here, in the open, with curious eyes staring at my posts. That just seems like the best way to me. But, it’s not about me.
But, I empathize. I miss McClellands too. Interestingly, I have stowed back quite a bit, but in waiting for age to have its way with it, I have been exploring other Virginias. And, without having McClellands as my ready benchmark, have been enjoying it. Cest la vie!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've lost many favorites over the past three decades. That's why I developed the mentality of finding something I liked and buying the hell out of it long before I heard the term cellaring. I'll never be without my McClelland favorites, but I also know there are hundreds of other favorites I haven't discovered yet.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I just sold off the last of my McClelland stash, except for two jars of 2015 (jarred in 2014)... I'm not crazy, and it feels pretty damn liberating. Besides I have plenty other "select" blends to enjoy.

Jan 7, 2019
mso489 is right on the money. This is indeed a golden era. So very many great, no, phenomenal blends. Too many to count really. I miss Mcclelland but whatcha gonna do? My two cents says stock up a bit. The smoking Nazis aren’t going to stop. And while I’m not in the tobaccopocalypse crowd, I think it’s wise to be prudent. At least, this is how I justify TAD.

Jan 7, 2019
Damn but there are some willfully ignorant people on this forum.
Let’s start with...
1) This isn’t about you
Whoa! Sorry :-(
This is why I’m reticent to join forums. Apparently I’ve violated some unwritten rule.
Oh well... back to lurking.
Adios!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is indeed a golden era.
The Golden Era ended over a decade ago when the FDA announced the impending deeming nonsense. Since then we've lost several blends, a few big name companies, some artisan carvers, and many long time B&M's. While there are still many options available, we are witnessing the beginning of things to come.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is why I’m reticent to join forums. Apparently I’ve violated some unwritten rule.
Oh well... back to lurking.
Why would you do that? If you're really thin skinned, then lurking is probably best. I doubt woodsroad's post was directed at you. It may very have been directed at me. That's fine. I have as much right to post and state my opinion here as anybody does. As you do. As woodsroad does. Having differing opinions and points of view isn't isolated to the internet or forums or anything else for that matter. It does seem many people are more likely to post something in a forum they wouldn't say face to face. I make it a practice not to post anything on a forum that I wouldn't readily say face to face. This forum is rather genteel, I would say a lot more to people's face than I post in here.
So speak your mind and enjoy yourself. Just be reasonably civil. And don't take anything personally.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The McClelland closure was probably the worst kept secret in the pipes and tobaccos universe. I learned about it months before it was announced. I stocked up on the few blends of their that I really liked, mostly the Reds. People have been warning about the "tobaccopalypse" for years and it made sense to me, given the increasingly toxic social and political environment, so I bought what I liked while it was still available. If I never buy another shred of tobacco, I'm well set.

There are a lot of great blends to choose from, many, many more than were available when I started smoking a pipe in the early '70's, so I don't see scarcity, just slightly less abundance.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Some of my best friends on this forum are people who’ve had the gonads to tell me just how wrong I am.
Hang around here, magicpiper, it just keeps getting better.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I think I need to clarify a couple of things.
First, I think Cosmic caught my drift more than most. I'm not thinking so much of a boutique tobacco company, per se. More of a tobacco gardeners' club. I used the word "co-op" because of some of the farmers' markets co-ops that I've encountered. And my intent was not to supply anyone and everyone with premium pipe tobacco so much as to preserve the knowledge of traditional tobacco production. Having said that, I'm very happy to hear that quality leaf is still being produced (albeit on a corporate level).
Second, I'm not whining that I don't have enough McClellands (or any other brand) to last until I die. I'm acknowledging that I'm angry about the trend we've been observing for a long time, and asking the question, "how can I be pro-active rather than re-active?"
Yes, stockpiling is the immediate, stop-gap measure. And I have. I also agree that there are a LOT of other wonderful blends out there; no complaints there, either. However, I'm curious about the craft of tobacco production, the preservation of knowledge and tradition, and the building up of a community of like-minded gardeners.
I will have to do a search for some of the 'grow your own' threads on this site. Any links that would be particularly helpful?
Thanks, everyone, for chiming in!

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Also, along with others, I'm not really sure to whom the ad hominem attack was directed, but I am sure that they're not necessary.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
“I'm angry about the trend we've been observing for a long time”.
What trend is that? And who is "we". And please define "long time"
"They did not close the doors due to lack of interest, but rather because of the loss of traditional tobacco aging techniques and, consequently, the unavailability of the high-quality leaf that defined their products. "
Sorry, but that's simply not true.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
The trend I'm referring to is social engineering by way of taxation and legislation. This site has a whole category dedicated to Tobacco Legislation for just this topic. The FDA deeming rules that everyone has been screaming about are evidence enough of that, I think.
Also, I was referring to the McNiels' own statement as to why the chose to close. Argue with them, if you disagree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.