PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. I spent my first 33 years in and around Boston. I moved to R.I in 1990 when I opened my first business.. I moved to Florida in 2003 and retired in 2017 when I sold my last business.
I thought taxes were bad in Mass. They didn't come close to the taxes in R.I.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
"A fine hunt you have led us! Two hundred leagues, through fen and forest, battle and death, to rescue you! And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains?"

"We did some salvage-work this morning, Pippin and I. There are lots of things floating about. It was Pippin who found two small barrels, washed up out of some cellar or store-house, I suppose. When we opened them, we found they were filled with this: as fine a pipe-weed as you could wish for, and quite unspoilt."

Gimli took some and rubbed it in his palms and sniffed. "It feels good, and it smells good," he said.

"It is good!" said Merry. "My dear Gimli, it is Longbottom Leaf!"

Oct 31, 2021
Massachusetts
"A fine hunt you have led us! Two hundred leagues, through fen and forest, battle and death, to rescue you! And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains?"

"We did some salvage-work this morning, Pippin and I. There are lots of things floating about. It was Pippin who found two small barrels, washed up out of some cellar or store-house, I suppose. When we opened them, we found they were filled with this: as fine a pipe-weed as you could wish for, and quite unspoilt."

Gimli took some and rubbed it in his palms and sniffed. "It feels good, and it smells good," he said.

"It is good!" said Merry. "My dear Gimli, it is Longbottom Leaf!"
This made me smile, a lot, on a day where I sorely needed it. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: SBC
Oct 31, 2021
Massachusetts
Greetings everyone,
In the interest of efficiency and not making a new post for every individual response, I will proceed in order by date/time points. My apologies for the above, the intent was not to spam, pad post counts or engage in any manner of thread boosting. Just me being excessively ADHD in that terrible nadir between the wear off meds and the firing up of my Daily Tobacco Ration.

If you believe I actually ration it, I've got a great bridge to sell you. Fantastic price, everything must go. I'll throw in that troublesome river for free.

To everyone: Thank you for the responses. That was a most impressive, international welcome!

@Fralphog: by no means should you choose a pipe predicated on the opinion of an utter ignoramous with a fancy vocabulary who owns all of a dozen meer pipes, half of them basic in design and even more so in price. That hardly constitutes an appropriate sample size vs. totality, nor does it encompass a sufficient breadth of different artisans and styles.

Since I wrote that, I have come to better understand the qualitative differences between meers, both individually and by brand / artisan. Perhaps I should have said that in my present and limited experience, I see a higher degree of variability in engineering quality.

I'm going to purchase an Altinok meerschaum this week and I strongly suspect I will need to further qualify the previously written words that seem to gain additional jackassery the more research I do. If you want to buy a meerschaum, you should do it. Just reference the brands and carvers in this thread and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Cheers!

I've never tasted Sobranie and I doubt I ever will. I'm 34, so I don't think I've been around long enough unless I get lucky and find the Holy Grail buried in a pile of old kitchen gear for $9 / pound at a yard sale. Might as well play the lottery (I did it once when I turned 18 just for the experience but no one whose friends call them a walking calculator is ever going to really enjoy doing lottery stuff).

That said, I love English / Balkan / Scottish / American English blends. Shockingly, Ive been a fan of Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg since before I could legally buy them so imagine the smile on my face the first time I fired up a heavy english. I am very fond of Blackhouse (esp the 10th anniv, the orientals in that blend are just absolutely amazing), Gaslight, Ten Russians, LJ Peretti Midnight and Pride of Loch Lamond, Plum Pudding Special Reserve, C&D Da Vinci, Mountain Camp, HH Rustica, HH Acadian Perique (Arcadian is not the correct spelling btw), etc. Ive tried a lot more than that but none of us have all day and I already talk too.much.

@mso489: That's awesome - I went to Umass Amherst myself back in the days of whale oil and telegraphs. Ah, so much has changed in the last dozen years. I know those places well!

As to Churchwardens, I didn't realize I'd inadvertantly gone *spelunking* into the dark depths of a old, rusted can of worms. Well, uh, no comment. 'Insert' joke about Vulcanite here.

@jerry: I'm interested that you mentioned a particular artisan. That's something I'll need to look into further, thank you.

@cigrmaster: I used to think Taxachusetts until I saw the California version which dispenses with semi-clever portmonteaus and just straight up says "F you* right to your face. It'll be a cold day in Hell before I set foot in LA again.

I like trees.....and I'm rather fond of oxygen, I must say.

Cheers everyone!

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Greetings everyone,
In the interest of efficiency and not making a new post for every individual response, I will proceed in order by date/time points. My apologies for the above, the intent was not to spam, pad post counts or engage in any manner of thread boosting. Just me being excessively ADHD in that terrible nadir between the wear off meds and the firing up of my Daily Tobacco Ration.

If you believe I actually ration it, I've got a great bridge to sell you. Fantastic price, everything must go. I'll throw in that troublesome river for free.

To everyone: Thank you for the responses. That was a most impressive, international welcome!

@Fralphog: by no means should you choose a pipe predicated on the opinion of an utter ignoramous with a fancy vocabulary who owns all of a dozen meer pipes, half of them basic in design and even more so in price. That hardly constitutes an appropriate sample size vs. totality, nor does it encompass a sufficient breadth of different artisans and styles.

Since I wrote that, I have come to better understand the qualitative differences between meers, both individually and by brand / artisan. Perhaps I should have said that in my present and limited experience, I see a higher degree of variability in engineering quality.

I'm going to purchase an Altinok meerschaum this week and I strongly suspect I will need to further qualify the previously written words that seem to gain additional jackassery the more research I do. If you want to buy a meerschaum, you should do it. Just reference the brands and carvers in this thread and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Cheers!

I've never tasted Sobranie and I doubt I ever will. I'm 34, so I don't think I've been around long enough unless I get lucky and find the Holy Grail buried in a pile of old kitchen gear for $9 / pound at a yard sale. Might as well play the lottery (I did it once when I turned 18 just for the experience but no one whose friends call them a walking calculator is ever going to really enjoy doing lottery stuff).

That said, I love English / Balkan / Scottish / American English blends. Shockingly, Ive been a fan of Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg since before I could legally buy them so imagine the smile on my face the first time I fired up a heavy english. I am very fond of Blackhouse (esp the 10th anniv, the orientals in that blend are just absolutely amazing), Gaslight, Ten Russians, LJ Peretti Midnight and Pride of Loch Lamond, Plum Pudding Special Reserve, C&D Da Vinci, Mountain Camp, HH Rustica, HH Acadian Perique (Arcadian is not the correct spelling btw), etc. Ive tried a lot more than that but none of us have all day and I already talk too.much.

@mso489: That's awesome - I went to Umass Amherst myself back in the days of whale oil and telegraphs. Ah, so much has changed in the last dozen years. I know those places well!

As to Churchwardens, I didn't realize I'd inadvertantly gone *spelunking* into the dark depths of a old, rusted can of worms. Well, uh, no comment. 'Insert' joke about Vulcanite here.

@jerry: I'm interested that you mentioned a particular artisan. That's something I'll need to look into further, thank you.

@cigrmaster: I used to think Taxachusetts until I saw the California version which dispenses with semi-clever portmonteaus and just straight up says "F you* right to your face. It'll be a cold day in Hell before I set foot in LA again.

I like trees.....and I'm rather fond of oxygen, I must say.

Cheers everyone!

Merry,

We may have more in common than Tolkien and Massachusetts (I was born in Stoneham).

Consider this a standing invitation to reach out about anything or nothing.

Pax

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
@TheMerryPipester - no worries. Your comment created some great input on meerschaum pipes that I benefited from. I now have names of five meerschaum pipe carvers (retail brands) that I can use to look for a pipe. Looking for just the right design. Leaning towards a classic Dublin to dedicate to my new found enjoyment of English blends. Might need to go search the forum for pointers on breaking in and if you need to dedicate meerschaums to one type or blend?
Once I find it, I’ll post a picture of it!
-cheers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Might need to go search the forum for pointers on breaking in and if you need to dedicate meerschaums to one type or blend?
Meerschaum really needs no breaking in though some can have a chalky taste for the first few smokes and contrary to popular belief, meers are easily ghosted as they are a sponge.

Leaning towards a classic Dublin to dedicate to my new found enjoyment of English blends.
Once I find it, I’ll post a picture of it!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Meerschaum really needs no breaking in though some can have a chalky taste for the first few smokes and contrary to popular belief, meers are easily ghosted as they are a sponge.

1636338432774.jpeg
I looked at all the Dublin pipes. This is the one. I love the feel of rusticated pipes. This one has a .79 “ ID bowl that is 1.54 “ deep. Can’t wait to enjoy my first meerschau. Just received my first tine of GLP Quiet Nights that I’ll try in this pipe!
It was the sameprice as the one you sent me. Free shipping was great. Thanks!

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.