PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2021
Welcome from New York. My family came from PA and when I was a kid I spent a lot of time with my father in Sunbury, Elysburg, Shamokin area. I used to love Knoebels! If you wanna try burley my novice taste really liked C&D Cube Cut Burley, it’s creamy, earthy, nutty and all around great.
Thanks Charlie.

Love your PA ties...those are wonderful memories! That is such a beautiful area of the state too.

I spent a fair amount of my life in NY, as well. I went to university upstate and worked for 6 years on Long Island.

I do need to try me some C&D Burley - it seems to be their niche - but everyone comments about it's strength, so I guess it has scared me off a bit. I'm sure I could handle it, as I am not new to tobacco, but I am in it for the taste not the nicotine. I will definitely give the Cube Cut a whirl!

Reactions: Charlie718
May 28, 2021
As luck would have it, we're having a meet-up at Boswells' on Saturday (Chambersburg PA). Welcome and drop by!
Thanks SS!

I am 3 hrs away, and have family obligations this Saturday (Graduation parties and such). I would love to make the trip out to meet you and some of the other members though. Would you kindly keep me updated on the next one so that I can make plans?

Have a great time (and a great smoke) for me!

May 28, 2021
Welcome from Monterey California. Discovering your favorite genre, blends, and even pipes is an interesting journey. We are all here to lead you down the various rabbit holes of our experiences.
Thanks UncleRasta!

I am certainly embracing the journey ahead with much excitement.

May I ask about some of your favorites?

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Thanks UncleRasta!

I am certainly embracing the journey ahead with much excitement.

May I ask about some of your favorites?
You may. The Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman happens to be my favorite cob. Some of my current favorite blends are GL Pease Westminster, HH Burley Flake, Rattray's Old Gowrie, and Balkan Sasieni. I will say that at almost two years in, my tastes are still evolving. The journey is fascinating and enjoyable though. I hope it is the same for you.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. Here are a couple of blends I think you may like.
Mac Baren Blue Flake
Escudo
One is a coin and the other is a flake. Before you try smoking them you need to read up on how to to so.

I prefer the fold and stuff technique but I recommend the cube and cut method for new smokers. Once you get the cube cut method down then you can try the fold and stuff. Some may want to try the rubbing out method to start. That would not be my first choice. I hope you enjoy your journey here with us.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks anotherbob - Glad to be here!

I agree. They are tricky, but in my limited experience, seem to be worth the struggle (I guess that's true of most things).

Looking forward to joining you on the journey!
oh pipes are enjoyable from the start. It's just that at first you do things like burn your tongue, have to relight a million times, miss out on how good it can taste, and a few others. Which means it only gets more enjoyable.

May 28, 2021
Welcome from Florida. Here are a couple of blends I think you may like.
Mac Baren Blue Flake
Escudo
One is a coin and the other is a flake. Before you try smoking them you need to read up on how to to so.

I prefer the fold and stuff technique but I recommend the cube and cut method for new smokers. Once you get the cube cut method down then you can try the fold and stuff. Some may want to try the rubbing out method to start. That would not be my first choice. I hope you enjoy your journey here with us.
Thanks cigrmaster - It's good to be here!

I appreciate the suggestions. Escudo is certainly highly touted by many a the gold standard of VaPers, and I want to be sure I have my technique dialed in before I take a run at it -- for all the reasons you mention.

Also, shall I assume that you do not recommend the "ready-rubbed" version of Blue Flake? It seems to be more readily available, so I am wondering if there is a difference between the two cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.