PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I've only been smoking a pipe for a about a year now. It took me quite a few weeks to really get the hang of it, but as time and bowls of tobacco have gone by I have found a good rhythm and smoking my pipe has become an enjoyable part of daily routine. I, like many others have a bit of pipe acquisition syndrome. In under a year I have managed to purchase 9 pipes. I have 2 Savinelli Bings Favorites, 4 assorted MM cobs, a savinelli mattone (cant remember the model, but its a straight billiard), and a SMS lattice meerschaum bent billiard. They all smoke wonderfully, but I continue to look online and at my local B&M for more.
Since my pipe smoking journey began I have been smoking a variety of different tobaccos. English blends have been my favorite so far, but I am willing to give anything a try. I guess I am currently on the hunt for the perfect everyday smoke. In any case I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I love pipe smoking, but I don't have any friends who I can share my hobby with, so I'm glad I found this online community. Thank you.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Greetings from Chicagoland..... It may be a bit of a drive, but there are three great pipe shops in Illinois. Jon's pipe shop in Champaign may be the closest to you. If you ever get up around Chicago way, there is Arlington Pipe and Cigar Lounge in Arlington Heights and the legendary Iwan Reis in Chicago proper.

Reactions: TheDesertPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Hey" from central North Carolina. I thought Peoria was in Illinois; good to know of the Western branch. Nine pipes is all you'd ever need, but I have a few under one hundred, so it sneaks up on you. Welcome.

• Haha

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Welcome from North Carolina. May I suggest trying a codger blend such as Granger, SWR, PA or Match RR as a daily smoke. Inexpensive tasty burley blends that have a good room note.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apropos of Peoria, Illinois in this case, I attended the Illinois Boys State in summer of 1963, where a big auditorium of howling young teenagers simulate a state election for governor and other officers, and the guy we elected governor was a kid from Peoria who was a gifted debater and polished public speaker. He'd really cultivated the form. It was fascinating to watch him work, to said howling hall of dudes. Others were talented, but he was outstanding. Not being a candidate, I retired to a library between sessions and won the Lincoln Medal for an essay extolling the U.S. Constitution, but it was a better essay than it sounds. It made a pretty good entry in my otherwise spare high school year book notes.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Welcome from North Carolina. May I suggest trying a codger blend such as Granger, SWR, PA or Match RR as a daily smoke. Inexpensive tasty burley blends that have a good room note.
Thank you, and I have looked into some of them and I would definitely love to give some of them a try.

Reactions: FurCoat

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Welcome from Vancouver Island, BC. I'm a recent pipe smoker too. Something that helped me was to order several Amphora blends in pouches (Virginia, Burley, Black Cavendish and Original). This provided me with an inexpensive way to sample different non-aromatics in order to see what suited me. I was surprised ro discover i most enjoyed the lightness and sweetness of pure Virginia. Might be an approach for you to consider. Cheers!

• Love
Reactions: edger
Status
Not open for further replies.