PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Hello all, glad I found this forum. I'm a native of western Pennsylvania along the Ohio border. I work construction so home is out of the suitcase alot of times these days though. I first tried the pipe when I was barely 18 but gave it up for cigarettes due to convenience due to the nature of work I had to do. I still wish I had that old cob and Grabow but sadly lost in the travels of time. You never forget your first pipe it seems. Unfortunately it took years to give up the Marlboro reds but I circled back to the pipe after being tobacco free for 9 years. Anyways enough with the rambling on and thank you for all the time and knowledge contained on this site.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello all, glad I found this forum. I'm a native of western Pennsylvania along the Ohio border. I work construction so home is out of the suitcase alot of times these days though. I first tried the pipe when I was barely 18 but gave it up for cigarettes due to convenience due to the nature of work I had to do. I still wish I had that old cob and Grabow but sadly lost in the travels of time. You never forget your first pipe it seems. Unfortunately it took years to give up the Marlboro reds but I circled back to the pipe after being tobacco free for 9 years. Anyways enough with the rambling on and thank you for all the time and knowledge contained on this site.
o.k. so there are a ton of PA people here and I almost never see another pipe smoker? Are you guys all hiding when you smoke? :) Welcome from the dead center of the state.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
o.k. so there are a ton of PA people here and I almost never see another pipe smoker? Are you guys all hiding when you smoke? :) Welcome from the dead center of the state.
Not sure where all the pipe peeps are lol. I know I see them when I go to Boswells but even alot of them are more cigar smokers. I'm working on a pipeline project out in Harrisburg so Boswells Chambersburg store isn't to far off. I enjoy a good stogey but prefer the pipe the most. I've recently switched to meerschaum and wow has everything changed for me lol.

Reactions: RonB and anotherbob

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Surely Marlboro Reds are tasty, but I think that even in a few months time the satisfaction that you get from the pipe will far exceed that. Cigarettes are like mainlining while pipes are a 5-course meal. It takes time to smoke a pipe, but the gratification is so much greater.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Surely Marlboro Reds are tasty, but I think that even in a few months time the satisfaction that you get from the pipe will far exceed that. Cigarettes are like mainlining while pipes are a 5-course meal. It takes time to smoke a pipe, but the gratification is so much greater.
Oh for sure. I haven't smoked a red since 2013 or so. Can't even stand the smell of them now lol. In my opinion cigarettes have been awful since they first started the dreaded FSC or fire safety cigarette. They just tasted plum dam awful after that but the nicotine hook keeps you smoking them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Attachments

• 1629941558801.png
    1629941558801.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Sharp_tungsten

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
Welcome! I'm also in PA, but in the SE. I initially started a pipe way back at age 18 to kick cigarettes. Didn't work, I smoked cigarettes on and off until about 25. But I came back to the pipe 20 years later.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Oh for sure. I haven't smoked a red since 2013 or so. Can't even stand the smell of them now lol. In my opinion cigarettes have been awful since they first started the dreaded FSC or fire safety cigarette. They just tasted plum dam awful after that but the nicotine hook keeps you smoking them.
which they had to do because they added chemicals to so the cigarettes wouldn't go out and would burn down at the rate they wanted them too burn. Funny that they couldn't just remove that chemical.

Reactions: Sharp_tungsten

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
which they had to do because they added chemicals to so the cigarettes wouldn't go out and would burn down at the rate they wanted them too burn. Funny that they couldn't just remove that chemical.
I remember the day I first heard about the FSC cigarette from a friend in New York. Then about 6 months later I cracked a new carton and lit up a fresh red. The taste and draw was just awful. Put it out and tried another. It was the same, flipped the pack on edge to look on the bar code and there it was fsc lol. The plague eventually spread to all 50 states. Interesting enough we had some Russians come to a job I was on and they had russian Marlboro Reds that were not FSC and tasted like the Reds of old lol.

Reactions: chopper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I remember the day I first heard about the FSC cigarette from a friend in New York. Then about 6 months later I cracked a new carton and lit up a fresh red. The taste and draw was just awful. Put it out and tried another. It was the same, flipped the pack on edge to look on the bar code and there it was fsc lol. The plague eventually spread to all 50 states. Interesting enough we had some Russians come to a job I was on and they had russian Marlboro Reds that were not FSC and tasted like the Reds of old lol.
I've found that even before that cigarettes got worse and worse. Even before that they started to taste highly artificial. I haven't smoked a cig or craved one in a long time. Then one day a local eccentric (one of my friends dads, don't know the dad well just who he is) was smoking a cig from I don't know where from, as I couldn't read a thing on the packaging. The thing is it smelled good like the way a pipe almost always smells good to me even the none aros. It hit me like a bag of bricks dropped off a tall building I suddenly knew why I used to smoke cigs and why I can't stand them now. It was the first time in almost 20 years I craved a cig at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.