PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Welcome from central North Carolina, U.S. I've made two trips to Toronto on business, and off-hours enjoyed the Ontario art museum, its Henry Moore sculptures among much else. I also enjoyed the isolated spender of Toronto Island off season and the black squirrels. I think you have the right angle on pipe smoking. For pipes made in Canada, you might look at smokingpipes.com estate pipes, at the Brigham for about $50 and a number of unsmoked pipes by the Canadian artisan carver Phillip Trypis. I'd snag a Trypis, but I have so many pipes.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Not a big fan of any football lately with the crap they do, but if I had my druthers it would be the DALLAS COWBOYS! They have been my favorites for years, after all I was born in Dallas!
Against all sense and better judgment, I've been a Dallas fan since watching my father cheer for the Landry/Staubach Cowboys.

I'd like to visit Texas some time. Closest I've been is New Mexico.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
For pipes made in Canada, you might look at smokingpipes.com estate pipes, at the Brigham for about $50 and a number of unsmoked pipes by the Canadian artisan carver Phillip Trypis. I'd snag a Trypis, but I have so many pipes.
Ssshhhhhhhhhh!

Sshhh!

They are terrible pipes and cost too much.

And they probably insulted your mother.

Reactions: 02Knight

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
Against all sense and better judgment, I've been a Dallas fan since watching my father cheer for the Landry/Staubach Cowboys

I'd like to visit Texas some time. Closest I've been is New Mexico.
Now that is when the Cowboys were the COWBOYS, Landry & Staubach, I actually went to a Cowboy Green Bay Game in the Cotton Bowl back in the day. I have also caught a football that Staubach threw me at this event, talk about power!!

redrooster1977

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2020
I was introduced to pipe smoking by a friend many years ago, but after a handful of smokes my pipe left me and I never took it up again until recently. Reading about the enjoyment you folks have been experiencing caused me to harken back to times out on the wilderness trails when we'd stop at a vista, pull out our pipes, and watch our smoke waft out into the landscape.

No hiking destination or timeline was so urgent, it seemed, that it should prelude the daily ritual of sitting and settling, unfolding our kit, and steeping in long minutes (or timeless moments) of breathing together the sweetness of the earth.

I remembered, and thought I might like to try again. Based on pipe forum recommendations, I picked up a corn cob pipe and took her out on the trail. In one thread, I read an enticing description of Brigham Legends Ripley Avenue, so I ordered it for my tentative reunion with smoke.

My first couple of smokes were... okay, I guess. A bit of nip, difficult lighting and relighting, a bit of questionable flavor, considerable bad aftertaste. But through online sources the past few weeks I've learned a lot -- from the community here and from knowledgeable YouTube presenters. So I had recourse, I had somewhere to go with pipe smoking.

I figured that as an aromatic the tobacco I was using was likely too damp straight out of the tin. I tried laying it out for a while to dry, or pre-packing my pipe for later. I tried different packing methods. I slowed down my cadence and didn't fret about relighting. I researched easier tobaccos to start with. Step by step, better.

A couple of new pipes were delivered -- a Savinelli Clark's Favorite and a Savinelli Petite Smooth Natural 202, both of which I adore --- along with a pack of Prince Albert and a few representative tobaccos: Orlik Golden Slice, Cult Blood Red Moon, John Cotton No. 1, and Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Special Reserve.

What I consider my first real smoking experience happened outdoors on a lovely warm-windy evening by an old wind-tossed oak, with Prince Albert in my Petite.

Amazing! Revelatory! Ecstatic! It lit easily and stayed lit with only a couple of relights. It smoked without a bite. And armed with the 'breathe' technique, I had a long, relaxing, extremely pleasant smoke.

The feeling of the tobacco was so subtle, delicate, and warm. It's like it was being kind to me. Gentle earthy sweetness went through me, more than just a taste in the tongue. Almost like the tobacco had a voice through evening itself.

"Wow, so this is possible."

I wonder with anticipation at the worlds that await within the other tins, but for now I'm not complicating things; I'm continuing to smoke mostly Prince Albert, to better perceive the differences in my technique, and occasionally the Ripley Avenue to compare between the ways the two types of tobacco respond.

I've ordered a meerschaum as well so I'll have a bit of a rotation going, and I have a notion that I might eventually dedicate it to aromatics. (Your input welcomed on this.)

I'm also fascinated by the social and cultural dimensions of pipe smoking, and especially the society- and culture-building aspects. I consider that pipe smoking is one of the 'old ways' gradually fading. There's a skill to it, a dexterity that has to be trained and at least a minimum of patience that has to be achieved.

There's also a lore to it. Traditionally, pipe smoking has been passed down by elders. A father and/or grandfather might have shown a young one the ropes (no pun intended), conveying not only the actions themselves, but the way to go about actions in general. Conveying not only 'how to tamp', but: patience, attention, ease, care....

And at perhaps a deeper level, fatherness and grandfatherness might have melded with the aroma of a particular tobacco in ways that lodge deeply in one's being and take up residence in oneself as living forces, reanimated by the slightest whiff of that blend.

I'm enthralled by the way humans have become able to extract the essences from things. Wine and spirits, cheeses, spices, oils, teas and coffees, tobaccos, and on and on. It's like a magic talent we've gained, and it can open windows to the kaleidoscopic glory of this life.

All the flavors. All the movements. It's all up for appreciation. We may not like a certain taste or smell, or situation, or character of person, but we can recognize and honor their place in the Ten Thousand Things.

That's what I hope for my smoking: I hope I can deepen my appreciation of all flavors of experience, and I hope I can be as generous to the moment as the tobacco is to us.

You're in or near some beautiful country. Welcome from North Carolina. If you get a chance post some pictures.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
What a pleasure was to read your introductory post! If this is the welcome message, then I definitely look forward to some tobacco review written by you. :)

Greetings from Vaughan, ON and welcome to the forums!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.