PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

luddite

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2023
Oakland, CA
I took up the hobby in earnest about a year ago, after ~20 years of occasional piping. Smoking ~20 open tins and a ~dozen active pipes at the moment, with a tendency to variety. It's been a real pleasure so far. Looking forward to learning more with the community here.

luddite

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2023
Oakland, CA
View attachment 213333

20 open tins? You must be experimenting. How has your taste changed over the year of trial and error?

I think I'll be experimenting for a while yet - too many to try!

I used to think I had a chemical allergy to yellow VA, because it'd burn my tongue instantly upon contact unless I took it with espresso. Perhaps my chemistry was affected by changes in consumption habits, or perhaps my tins were mellowed by age, but I often reach for VA in the morning now. My English preferences have shifted towards mild for daytime smokes; I still enjoy a hearty Kentucky after lunch. Aromatics (which I previously shunned) have grown on me in the evenings if they're subtle, and I still enjoy a stout English or Balkan at night. Navy style coins used to underwhelm, but now they're thoroughly engaging and rather convenient when I'm about.

With respect to pipes, I've developed some facility with briar, though I still like meerschaum and morta more for some baccies and circumstances. I couldn't resist a bargain when I started and accumulated a lot of utilitarian pipes, only to abuse them to damage or death. I'm a bit more conscientious now, and desire fewer, thoughtfully crafted pipes.

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Chopper
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I think I'll be experimenting for a while yet - too many to try!

I used to think I had a chemical allergy to yellow VA, because it'd burn my tongue instantly upon contact unless I took it with espresso. Perhaps my chemistry was affected by changes in consumption habits, or perhaps my tins were mellowed by age, but I often reach for VA in the morning now. My English preferences have shifted towards mild for daytime smokes; I still enjoy a hearty Kentucky after lunch. Aromatics (which I previously shunned) have grown on me in the evenings if they're subtle, and I still enjoy a stout English or Balkan at night. Navy style coins used to underwhelm, but now they're thoroughly engaging and rather convenient when I'm about.

With respect to pipes, I've developed some facility with briar, though I still like meerschaum and morta more for some baccies and circumstances. I couldn't resist a bargain when I started and accumulated a lot of utilitarian pipes, only to abuse them to damage or death. I'm a bit more conscientious now, and desire fewer, thoughtfully crafted pipes.
Nice analysis, I find it familiar as many others will. VA take some experience to smoke properly and learn to slow down and enjoy to avoid tongue burn. I appreciate that you enjoy such a wide variety of tobacco on a regular basis.

Reactions: luddite