PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

m6aeyds

Lurker
Aug 7, 2018
Good morning everyone
My name is Jim and I am writing from Nottingham in the UK. I have been pipe smoking with some regularity now for about 6 months. My wife treated me to a Falcon Cool way for my birthday and I added to this a Missouri Original Corn Cob so I could rest this (I actually started favouring the Missouri if I'm honest, it's by far the least fussy of my pipes)
Last week I took the plunge and decided to spend a bit of money (by my standards any how) and went for a Falcon International straight stem with Dublin Hunter Bowl (along with a nice Peterson pouch and a very serviceable Mitchell Thomas knife) and I have to say I have fallen in love with Falcons!
The Cool Way as you will know better than me is a traditional briar pipe. I tend to favour straight stems over bent so the design I chose was perfect for my purposes at first. Moving to a Falcon "proper" shall we say has been a revelation in pipe smoking for me. The last week has seen some of the best pipe smoking I can remember. I'll still use my other pipes of course (including the little Dr Plum Dinky I forgot I even had until I found it under a cupboard this weekend!) but I am entirely sold on Falcons now and can't believe I waited so long to adopt one...
Next pipe purchase is likely to be a bent stem Falcon in original aluminium, most likely with a dental grip. For more relaxed smoking days. I'll also be adding more bowls to my collection.
As for tobaccos I'm mostly smoking Condor but have an unopened pack of Special Virginia at home. I'm very lucky to work a few hundred yards away from Gauntleys of Nottingham so am never more than a lunch break walk from any number of new and exciting flavours.
That's all from me for now, I am very much looking forward to enjoying and adding to the forum(s). Apologies in advance if I ask any silly questions but like all people new to a hobby or interest I am still learning.
Kind Regards
Jim

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Welcome aboard, I'm yet to try a Falcon but now I might if I can find a decent estate.

m6aeyds

Lurker
Aug 7, 2018
Hi brassmonkey,
Can't recommend them enough. Worth the money new in my own opinion but Estate is a good way to go to (read in another thread that you can deep clean them, not something I've ever tried but nice to know if I do see a pipe I like on the bay I can give it a new lease of life)
https://www.smoke-king.co.uk/pipes-html.html?cat=528&product_list_order=price
This is where I got my International from along with my other bits. That said within minutes of being on this forum I clicked on a banner for Missouri pipes! didn't quite appreciate the history of these. Think I might be telling the Mrs I need another rack!

m6aeyds

Lurker
Aug 7, 2018
Hi ukbob
I'm sure my tastes and needs will alter overtime. That is one of things I am enjoying about smoking pipes, there seems to be one for every occasion. If I was working outside in winter and wanted a smoke I'd leave the International at home and take a traditional briar or my con cob out with me but of an evening or if I was in the pub (well, outside it anyway) I'll be using the falcon each and every time.
I think I will start making my own dry rings as these are a bit overpriced. Does anyone have a source for cheap 6mm filters in quantity? I'm trying to only use one a day but even at that this eats up a few pounds each month that could be spent on bacca or new pipe! I'd rather use a trusted supplier than eBay but if needs must...

Jan 8, 2013
Apologies in advance if I ask any silly questions but like all people new to a hobby or interest I am still learning.
Ask away, Jim. That's why we're here, to share information and learn from each other about something we all enjoy. Nottingham... one of the places on my list I hope to visit someday. Welcome, from Texas.

m6aeyds

Lurker
Aug 7, 2018
Thanks Anthony, same here always wanted to visit the lone star state.
The other thing I really like about pipe smokers is everyone is so friendly. If this was a video game forum and I was espousing the feature and benefits of one console over another or one phone operating system over another by now I'd have been chased in to a corner and beaten. Here its a bit more "I like Falcons" "Really? I like Petersons but there's no wrong answer" :)

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Welcome to the forums, dude! I haven't tried a Falcon yet but I plan to.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! I am new also and learning a lot from the kind, friendly folks here on the forums.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from N California. Something I did not know:
Made in the U.K, Falcon Pipes are the largest selling tobacco pipe brand in the world. Created by an American engineer, Kenley Bugg, in the 1930s, these metal, and briar pipes bring modern technology and traditional craftsmanship together giving you hundreds of interchangeable bowl and stem combinations. They call themselves "The clean, cool one."

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Welcome Jim from Sunny Cornwall. My paternal family come from your neck of the woods, Eastwood, Bulwell, Greasley etc and just over the Derbyshire border.
There's a few Brits here so you'll blend in just nicely :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome from the center of the known Universe, beautiful downtown Burbank!
Welcome from N California. Something I did not know:
Here's something else you didn't know. At one time, Falcons were made in the Barling factories, and they became Barling's US distributor after Nichols was let go.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
welp you got me really interested in Falcon pipes now, and this is after an endorsement from Ralfy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw8584Tso8g

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Welcome. I hope you had a chance to visit GQ when it was still a B&M location, but look into the Nottingham Pipe Club, although I don't know if they are still around. GQ still runs a Nottingham based online company. Nice to see a new face, or at least username.

Status
Not open for further replies.