PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecobb

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Norway
My name is Bjorn, a relatively new pipe smoker from Norway.
My first real experience with pipes was about 10 or 11 years ago in college with a friend. I had a pipe from my late grandfather (unknown make, might post a picture to see if anyone can identify it, let me know if interested) and we used to smoke Holger Danske Vanilla & Mango (now called Golden Harmony), and our principal taught us the basics of packing!
I didn´t smoke much pipe after that, but I smoked cigarettes from 2003 to January 2017, quit cold turkey, needed to change some bad habits. Using snus as well regularly from about 2003, I became somewhat of a aficionado on that subject, and it´s a great nicotine delivery system with a lot of nicotine with basically none of the dangers of cigarettes, and it´s completely different from the american "dip". TSNA levels are lower than bacon. Lot´s of flavors to choose from too, from pure tobacco to no tobacco - straight mints. Highly recommend it if your´re trying to ditch cigs. I started a Youtube channel in 2017, posting reviews of smokeless tobacco, which has turned out to be relatively successful.
Well, I haven´t really missed the cigarette, but I did really miss the pipe. I had a short obsession with cigars back in 2013 and had a humidor with some nice cigars and cigarillos, but they take so long to smoke and I didn´t really like the humidor care. I sold my nice cedar humidor and started to keep them in a plastic box (for ice cream)… = instant 72% with Bovedas and no care needed… Cheap and I like it, bottom is covered in cedar strips, so I like this a lot better. Still have 20+ of decent sticks in it.
A couple of months ago I ordered a budget briar of the czech brand BPK. It seems to smoke quite alright, got a tin of Sørensen Mixture with it, a vanilla aromatic, and it´s much better than the Holger Danske we used to smoke.

Shortly after I bought two Missouri Meerschaums and I really love them both, they smoke perfectly. Mizzou and Pride, great pipes.
Bought a pouch of Borkum Riff at my local kiosk a couple of weeks ago, and I must say I like it a lot better than I thought I would, that´s what reading reviews does to you… Don´t read until you try it! Far from perfect, but further away from terrible.

Same with Samuel Gawith Black Forest. Seems to have gotten somewhat of a bad rep, but I absolutely loved it as a very mild viginia smoke.

Got a couple of tins of Nightcap as well, and it really was nothing as expected, found it to be a mild after dinner smoke, did not feel the nicotine, but I suppose the snus is to "blame". More latakia to come. Not that it matters, smoking is for a different purpose, if I want nicotine I use snus.
Now I´m waiting for my MM Dagner Poker, and tomorrow I´m visiting a couple of tobacco stores, hoping to return with some more blends to try out.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Welcome from Sweden!
I've learned that Norway is possibly even worse than my country regarding tobacco and tobacco prices.

You will find plenty of info here though!

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I liked Borkum Riff as well, cherry cavendish upon first try. It is the damned group think phenomenon. If someone likes it, everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and rides it all the way. I tried Snus and it was a bit nasty to be honest, the liquid is nicotine juice delivery is a bit of a turn off.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Welcome. And also cheers to both Norway and Sweden in this post. Many thanks to you guys for introducing me to the “good stuff”, aka, snus.

joecobb

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Norway
First - I apologize for the bad grammar in the first post. I used to be quite fluent, but haven´t written english in a long time... and I´ve had a few damn nice beers while sipping SG Black Forest tonight. Sorry, not sorry :)

I would edit if I could, but time´s gone out.
Borkum smoked well straight out of the pouch, nice and dry! I see people complaining about it being too dry, but to me it´s perfect… I´ve tasted better, sure, but I must say it´s up there so far. I even chose it for my new years smoke. Why complaint that it´s dry when you buy it? That´s when you get the best and longest lasting smoke in my opinion.
I think the swedes has to get the cred for the snus. They have saved an enormous amount of lives the last 50 years! What snus do you prefer. Npod?

The "snus-juice" isn´t for everyone, Foursided, but I guess that´s why there is now non-drip versions from several companies. White portions that doesn´t drip or discolor teeth. What snus did you try?

I don´t know how open this forum is to talk about other tobacco products, but seeing that we are seeking pleasure here, not a fix, (well, I guess it´s sort of a fix to light the pipe), I´d be more than happy to answer your snus questions!
So if anyone wants any advice on snus, just send me a PM or ask in this thread, I´d be happy to help! I´m not highly educated, but if there´s one thing I know it´s swedish snus. I won´t post my Youtube channel here (shameless self promotion) unless requested, but it´s all in Norwegian anyways. What do you say Irishearl, did they pass it on to you?
Gotta say this forum is one of a kind. I did visit a cigar forum years ago and it was very much about status and.. well, who´s got the most expensive lighter and cutter...
Got my high polish Zippo this week, damn thing is like a fidget spinner, can´t put it down! So I have already ordered a belt pouch and a dedicated pipe Zippo, arriving on Tuesday, can´t wait. From the cheapest sites I could find.
Guys. I feel at home here, thank you.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
We don’t discuss snus here. It is a sure way to get a post shut down. PM is great way to talk offline though. But for the record I prefer Epok white strong and also Skruf stark.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from Illinois.

Got my high polish Zippo this week, damn thing is like a fidget spinner, can´t put it down!

I'm the same. Put a Zippo in my hand and I can't stop.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Welcome from Slovenia!

Are you able to order anything from EU or are Norwegian customs to strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.