PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Wow, so many things to say! First off, welcome from Eastern Kentucky. I am however, originally from Metro-Detroit. My grandfather was a long time employee, and retired from the Free Press when they shut down the Detroit plant back in the early 80’s. Oddly enough, a very close family friend was once a photographer for the Detroit Times. That is a blast from the past!

My son was in East Lansing but I never made my way to Campbell’s. I will make it a point to check it out when I return there. I will actually be in Ypsilanti soon, to visit with my daughter at Eastern. I know Ferndale well, I grew up a member of a local church there. I inherited a nice collection of pipes from a very dear man from Ferndale that recently passed and was one of the finest influences I have had in my life.

For the downriver folks, I worked for several years in Taylor. I also lived in Taylor, Southgate, and Trenton. I find myself missing some dear friends there. For the hockey fans, I went to college with Dallas Drake many moons ago and I once met Draper in the Post Bar in Ferndale. He stopped to say hello to my then infant son, who happened to be about the same age as Drapers infant daughter. As memory serves, Osgood joined him shortly after.

To the Michigander’s that chimed in, thanks for bringing back some great memories! A final thought and recommendation for The Amish Tyrant, find your way to Flint if you haven’t already done so, Paul’s Pipe Shop is worth the trip!
I've been to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint and enjoy the Arrowhead blend a lot. It's similar to 1-Q. I also own a cayuga pipe made by Paul's, which is specially treated and cured. The place is fascinating and a step back in time.l reminding me of my grandparents' home in Saginaw.

The history of Paul's is fascinating. He opened the shop and a bar at age 15. Although Paul passed away a few years ago, the shop just celebrated its 93rd anniversary.

For any Michigander or visitor, Paul's is well worth the trip.

Reactions: trudger

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Wow, so many things to say! First off, welcome from Eastern Kentucky. I am however, originally from Metro-Detroit. My grandfather was a long time employee, and retired from the Free Press when they shut down the Detroit plant back in the early 80’s. Oddly enough, a very close family friend was once a photographer for the Detroit Times. That is a blast from the past!

My son was in East Lansing but I never made my way to Campbell’s. I will make it a point to check it out when I return there. I will actually be in Ypsilanti soon, to visit with my daughter at Eastern. I know Ferndale well, I grew up a member of a local church there. I inherited a nice collection of pipes from a very dear man from Ferndale that recently passed and was one of the finest influences I have had in my life.

For the downriver folks, I worked for several years in Taylor. I also lived in Taylor, Southgate, and Trenton. I find myself missing some dear friends there. For the hockey fans, I went to college with Dallas Drake many moons ago and I once met Draper in the Post Bar in Ferndale. He stopped to say hello to my then infant son, who happened to be about the same age as Drapers infant daughter. As memory serves, Osgood joined him shortly after.

To the Michigander’s that chimed in, thanks for bringing back some great memories! A final thought and recommendation for The Amish Tyrant, find your way to Flint if you haven’t already done so, Paul’s Pipe Shop is worth the trip!L

To the Michigander’s that chimed in, thanks for bringing back some great memories! A final thought and recommendation for The Amish Tyrant, find your way to Flint if you haven’t already done so, Paul’s Pipe Shop is worth the trip!
We had to have been at 10 O’Clock Charlies at the same time. I was at Northern back then also. Great place Marquette.

Reactions: mahew

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I've been to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint and enjoy the Arrowhead blend a lot. It's similar to 1-Q. I also own a cayuga pipe made by Paul's, which is specially treated and cured. The place is fascinating and a step back in time.l reminding me of my grandparents' home in Saginaw.

The history of Paul's is fascinating. He opened the shop and a bar at age 15. Although Paul passed away a few years ago, the shop just celebrated its 93rd anniversary.

For any Michigander or visitor, Paul's is well worth the trip.
I love me some Arrowhead! My first trip to Paul’s was with my son. I think it was just after his 18th birthday. Dan (the current owner) gave us a tour of the store. Including not only a personal tour of the museum upstairs, but also his workshop in the basement. Dan made this a special moment for both my son and me, and hence, I will always treasure the Cayuga pipe I picked up that day. Dan told us that his current inventory was just shy of one million pipes!

Trudger,

We definitely chewed some of the same ground if you were in Marquette in the late 80’s, early 90’s. I have a ton of hazy memories from 10 O’clock Charlie’s, Remie’s, and the Alibi. I wish I could share them, but they are, well, hazy. I lived in the A-frames next to the Alibi for a while. I am pretty sure those were good times, but again, sort of hazy. I remember a pretty good pipe shop being in Marquette back then, one of my earliest pipe smoking influences. My freshman year was the year that two young men were immortalized on the brass placard at the breakwater at Presque Isle. I lived down the hall from them, sad that.

Funny thing, my college roommate is a chiropractor in Traverse City. We are still friends to this day. I recommend a visit to the Ironfish Distillery when you find your way to the Traverse City area. To my knowledge, it is Michigans only field to bottle distillery. And Ferndale is a lovely place, however, I refuse to take sides on “don’t Royal Oak my Ferndale”.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Yep, he still works there. I've only been going for a short while, our Sparty is a junior this year, and I'm from Oakland County.
I ventured to East Lansing this week and visited Campbell's Smoke Shop. The same soft spoken gentleman was there and has been since 1996.

We talked about how everything changes and yet nothing is different in the area. Also, Campbell's will ship to Metro Detroit if you call an order in.

I picked up several 2 ounce bags and will likely place a phone order in the future.

A side note, the fraternity house I lived in for 3 years had sold and resold. Sorry of bitter sweet as there were a lot of good times and memories while some were not so nice.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit

Your comments are spot on, on several levels.

Paul's is great and a neat experience, like a trip back in time to rotary phones.

Btw, I confirmed Campbell's ships to Metro Detroit with phone orders, so give them a call if you want to scratch an itch.

Reactions: Elric and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.