PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Hello one and all.

I've been wandering around the forums here for a few weeks, but I've been smoking pipes on and off for decades. I've enjoyed them daily at times, a few times a week and then for any number of life reasons, might go months without (and there have been years-long hiatus).

I first picked up a pipe on a trip to Europe the summer after high school graduation; it is far from anything special (and probably that's being kind), and I've lost track of it -- it is somewhere, but so far the first searches have been fruitless -- but it gave me a taste. My grandfather, who passed before I was born, "always had a pipe in his mouth," according to family tales. So I see it as an inheritance from him.

I haven't bought a new pipe in a while -- but expect to during this current run -- but am happy that the main pipes I am smoking aren't too bad: a Viking Tor sandblast and Savinelli rusticated Punto Oro. Plus there are a few meerschaum and a couple of small "travel" pipes. I'm thinking of adding a Peterson, in honor of my County Cork-born grandfather. (And I welcome other suggestions.)

For almost a decade, I was lucky enough to work within walking distance of Kramer's in Beverly Hills; it was as terrific as you may have heard, and when it closed, my smoking fell way back. After finding it online, I've been going back and forth between its Fr. Dempsey and Cary Grant (I prefer the Father's English blend). I welcome suggestions on this front, too. Much further back, I used to get tobacco from Draper's in DC and Tobacco Barn in Orange County.

SJC

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome from Torrance! We should meet up for a smoke some time. There are a few pipe smokers I know in Torrance, and many in the LA area as a whole.

If you like Father Dempsey I would try Early Morning Pipe, from what I remember.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Welcome from Frazier Park, just an hour and a half to your north. Just stocked up Thursday on pipe cleaners at Tobacco Trader in West LA. Couldn't help myself when I snagged a tin of Balkan Sasieni and Escudo! They're one of the last LA B&Ms; I wrote a piece on here in the legislation section about it perhaps two months ago. Anyway, you'll find this forum to be a treasure trove of knowledge and latent sarcasm (in that order). Enjoy the journey!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For almost a decade, I was lucky enough to work within walking distance of Kramer's in Beverly Hills; it was as terrific as you may have heard, and when it closed, my smoking fell way back. After finding it online, I've been going back and forth between its Fr. Dempsey and Cary Grant (I prefer the Father's English blend). I welcome suggestions on this front, too. Much further back, I used to get tobacco from Draper's in DC and Tobacco Barn in Orange County.

SJC
If you like Cary Grant another similar but totally not quite the same blend would be Edward G Robinson blend. I guess something about being an actor then involved good taste in pipe tobacco.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Welcome from.NC. Try Peterson and you won't need any other. If you are into English/Balkan, give flow into a shot.

Balkan Supreme
Artisan's Blend
Odyssey

Reactions: EssJaySea
Status
Not open for further replies.