PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elie Khoury

Lurker
Jan 5, 2022
Beirut, Lebanon
Hi everyone my name is Elie Khoury I'm from Beirut, Lebanon and I just started smoking the pipe, as of today and felt the need to share to you my experience with it.

So far the feeling is a bit weird as I was a heavy cigarettes smoker, with pipes it just wasn't channelling the aroma as a normal cigarette would do but it had a lot of charm and changed the image from just holding a cigarette Bud to holding a respectable item smoked by legends through out history...

As a new practitioner of the pipes should you guys have any pointers for me to follow, it's greatly appreciated, I learned how to clean them, how to light them and how to maintain the taste with or without the use of beverages to sweeten the feeling of tongue with the various tabbaco out there?

My concerns are the filters do we change them after 5 puffs or less?

While lighting the pipe noticed if you light it for the first time once the tabbaco takes fire you wait until it turn off and use the tools to push it back a bit only to light it again and enjoy a 15-20minutes time with the pipe without it being turned of again.

Also tilting the pipe twords the ground more often when smoking it allows it to take more O2 as you inhale and thus keeping lit that is if you have the curved pipes as Sherlock Holmes used to use!

i am using captain black tabbaco, getting used to it...

should there be other pointers for me to know kindly do share as I'm still a new practitioner in the vast world of pipes?

scout19d3

Can't Leave
Jul 6, 2021
Katy, TX USA
Welcome, from Katy, TX, USA
1641429033042.png

I smoke both filtered & unfiltered pipes and enjoy both. I expect you'll want to change the filters as needed, based on several factors.
  1. The amount of moisture they've collected - I'll replace a wet filter before my next smoke in that pipe, and won't leave damp/wet filters in a closed pipe between smokes. I'll reuse a filter several times if it's still functional
  2. Following a strong tasting or especially aromatic tobacco - two different tobacco types may not lend themselves to one another. You may taste the previous tobacco with the new one if the same filter is still in place.
Filter change needs can be subjective

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Welcome from the San Francisco, California, USA region. I have never been to Beirut, but I understand it is quite a beautiful and interesting city. We have many Lebanese-Americans here in California as well.

I came to pipes from cigarettes as well, and the only advice I have is to try to keep some of the higher strength/nicotine blends on hand. Many of the Gawith, Howarth & Co. blends fit this description. I also recommend exploring some of the Cornell & Diehl blends for that extra dose of nicotine as well. I am not sure what is available for you in Lebanon, but perhaps ordering online is an option?

Reactions: Elie Khoury

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
Hi, kifak, ça va?
Beirut is still in my top places to visit when things get better. I had lebanese friends when I lived in Dubai. Lebanese food is my favourite.
Regarding the filters, when I was using them (I don't anymore) I was changing them every 2 complete smokes or so. It helps to remove the stem and see how dirty it has become.

Malaga Panorama.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.