PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedo

Lurker
Dec 9, 2019
Hi everybody! Hope y'all are doing well!

Been pipe smoking in just couple of weeks, yes Im totally new to this hobby.. My first attempt were Sillems's Black and Lane 1 Q, from my newbie's point of view I thought that those aros are good enough as a starter to this hobby, though it were on the very mild category.. Untill a week ago when I ordered a bulk pack of Ashton Artisan's, first I was so curious because of the unlit smell of it.. Kinda tangy but much more complex than the aros (and i like it).. First time I smoked this Ashton Artisan's Blend and I just blown away by its flavour, its aroma.. wow just wow.. For me, its my very first experience for such a complex and flavorful tobacco blend.. Yup I smoked cigar, but the experience that I got from this blend is totally different..

So Im really happy to join this forum hoping that I can learn alot about this new hobby..

FYI, here in Jakarta or Indonesia in general, there are only few of people that pipe smoking, most of the people here do vaping or regular cigarette. So most of them are thinking that a person who pipe smoking is kinda weird in public, but I dont really care LOL

Sorry for my poor english and such a long introduction! Have a good day everybody :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, U.S. Have you ever heard of the Indonesian tobacco Tambolaka? One of the online retailers used to sell it in the U.S., but I haven't seen if for years. It was notably strong, very strong; I only ordered it once.

Reactions: bnichols23 and Nedo

Nedo

Lurker
Dec 9, 2019
Welcome from the Great White North!

I'm a fan of Sillem's Black. Good choice, but as a beginner I didn't get much out of it. Fast forward about two years, it's a heavenly smoke.

Couldn't agree more with you, Sillem's Black was my first trial, liked it better that Lane1Q to be honest. That honeyed dried fruit, citrusy aroma when being retrohaled is just addicting. And a crowd pleaser too! :)

Welcome aboard from Florida, USA! What pipes are you smoking?

Hi Elric, Im still smoking my two trusty MM corn cobs, really enjoy my learning curve from it
Here in Indonesia, big branded pipes such as Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson are so expensive. Most of them are tagged 150usd++. So maybe I'll looking for local artisan pipe for my first briar pipe in the beginning of 2020 :)

Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, U.S. Have you ever heard of the Indonesian tobacco Tambolaka? One of the online retailers used to sell it in the U.S., but I haven't seen if for years. It was notably strong, very strong; I only ordered it once.

Nice to meet you mso489! Yup here in Indonesia, Tambo tobacco is very strong and have fuller body than Sumatran or Javan Tobacco. Never tried Tambo for pipes but I have tried the Tambolaka Cigar, and yes I need to have a full meal or it would give me lightheaded. However the Tambo tobacco is still easily found in online marketplace indo such as here: https://www.tokopedia.com/pusatgros...laka_bmexp=44_po=4_catid=4398_bmexp=44&whid=0

Sorry for the long multiquotes everyone :)

Reactions: bnichols23

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Welcome from Middle Tennessee! Glad to have you :)

Artisan's Blend is sublime isn’t it? One of my favorites for sure. And that’s a good solid English, pretty much on the ‘full’ side, so no doubt you’re an English blend lover — and you’re in good company here!

Nedo

Lurker
Dec 9, 2019
Welcome from Middle Tennessee! Glad to have you :)

Artisan's Blend is sublime isn’t it? One of my favorites for sure. And that’s a good solid English, pretty much on the ‘full’ side, so no doubt you’re an English blend lover — and you’re in good company here!

Thanks diamondback, glad to meet you too!
Yup it's very satisfiying experience to smoke. Somehow the aroma and flavour reminds me to char grilled steak very smoky and tasty followed by good amount of sweetness and a little bit of citrusy aroma. To be honest I smoke this blend every morning before I start my work at office :ROFLMAO:
I do really appreciate if you have other suggestion for me to explore more about english blend!?

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Let’s see... if you like Artisan’s Blend, I’d say try GL Pease’s Westminster, Odyssey, Quiet Nights and Gaslight.

I’ve yet to try Nightcap but I have a tin (a friend from here gifted me). It’s supposedly close to Artisan’s.

Also WhiteKnight, Bengal Slices, Lancer Slices...

Plumb Pudding, some Father Dempsey (I like FD very well). There are a ton of great English blends :)

If you’re a Latakia fan, be sure and try GLP Odyssey, Captain Earl’s Ten Russians, and C&D’s Pirate Kake.

• Love

Nedo

Lurker
Dec 9, 2019
Let’s see... if you like Artisan’s Blend, I’d say try GL Pease’s Westminster, Odyssey, Quiet Nights and Gaslight.

I’ve yet to try Nightcap but I have a tin (a friend from here gifted me). It’s supposedly close to Artisan’s.

Also WhiteKnight, Bengal Slices, Lancer Slices...

Plumb Pudding, some Father Dempsey (I like FD very well). There are a ton of great English blends :)

If you’re a Latakia fan, be sure and try GLP Odyssey, Captain Earl’s Ten Russians, and C&D’s Pirate Kake.

Try also Star of the East Flake. It's my go-to English blends along with Artisan's Blend.
And we are very lucky that Nightcap had finally made a comeback recently

Thanks for the recommendations! Some of them are already on my list such as Nightcap, Pirate Kake and Bengal Slices. Unfortunately here in Indonesia we only have limited source to get those pipe tobaccos ?
Some of the seller put very high price tag for tinned tobaccos, for example, most of the seller are selling Dunhill 965, Nightcap etc for 40usd++ (1.7oz tin) on the other hand for 50grams of bulk version cost around 10usd, but still very hard to find the items

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Thanks for the recommendations! Some of them are already on my list such as Nightcap, Pirate Kake and Bengal Slices. Unfortunately here in Indonesia we only have limited source to get those pipe tobaccos ?
Some of the seller put very high price tag for tinned tobaccos, for example, most of the seller are selling Dunhill 965, Nightcap etc for 40usd++ (1.7oz tin) on the other hand for 50grams of bulk version cost around 10usd, but still very hard to find the items
GREETINGS FROM JERUSALEM
ANALYZED THE OPTION TO IMPORT FROM THE US?

Status
Not open for further replies.