PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hey all! I've been reading here on the forum for a long time, but I want to be more active in the community and finally got around to making my account. Figured I'd start here and tell you a bit about myself!

My name is Jeremy and I live out in Nampa, Idaho. I've been smoking a pipe since I was 20, so going on nine years now. An old coworker of mine introduced me to the hobby and I immediately fell in love. I really enjoy living a simpler kind of life and slowing down to enjoy quiet moments, beautiful scenery, and overall just stopping to appreciate life, and stopping to sit and smoke a pipe is a great excuse to do just that. I've been called an old soul many times in my days, so I guess it's only fitting that I started up the hobby. Haha. I have a wife (who loves to smoke with me! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...), a dog, and a cat. My other hobby aside from smoking is songwriting - I really like the great singer/songwriters of the 70's (James Taylor, Dan Fogelberg, Jim Croce, John Prine, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, etc.) and that's the type of music I love to listen to and try to write myself. Music is my main hobby aside from pipe smoking. I like taking road trips with my wife, spending time with my family, and heading out to the mountains with my dog for some peace and quiet now and then.

As far as my tobaccos and pipes go, I keep it pretty simple. I have six pipes total and don't plan on getting any more. I found a line from Brebbia that I really liked and bought all six shapes that they had. My favorite tobacco is Half & Half - I always have a couple of tubs on hand. I've smoked it so many times and so many places that any time I crack the lid and take a whiff, I'm always reminded of good times and good memories. I like the flavor and how it's easy to pack, too, so for all those reasons it's my go-to blend. I do have some jars of other tobaccos and occasionally get an itch and order one or two new ones to try. Usually Virginias or non-aromatics, but I've got some aromatics and some stuff from our local tobacconist. I have a couple heavier blends that I hardly ever touch (probably because when I first tried Mississippi River on the suggestion of the internet, I got sicker than s*** since I had no concept of nicotine hit). I'll chip away at them over time, though! I have a brass zippo and a buffalo horn pipe knife as my tools, but I like to light with matches if I'm at home. When my wife and I first started dating, she made me a pipe bag using some of her dad's leather making supplies - it's perfect and I love using it since she made it for me! All of these items are sentimental to me and are probably my most prized possessions.

I think that about covers it! So glad to be here with you all. It's great to know so many people find as much joy in this hobby as I do. Hope to talk to you all here on the forum in the future. Also, if anyone is here in Nampa/Boise area, let me know! Maybe we could get together at a park and share a pipe sometime.

Attachments

• IMG_4436.jpeg
    IMG_4436.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4321.jpeg
    IMG_4321.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4100.jpeg
    IMG_4100.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 13

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hey all! I've been reading here on the forum for a long time, but I want to be more active in the community and finally got around to making my account. Figured I'd start here and tell you a bit about myself!

My name is Jeremy and I live out in Nampa, Idaho. I've been smoking a pipe since I was 20, so going on nine years now. An old coworker of mine introduced me to the hobby and I immediately fell in love. I really enjoy living a simpler kind of life and slowing down to enjoy quiet moments, beautiful scenery, and overall just stopping to appreciate life, and stopping to sit and smoke a pipe is a great excuse to do just that. I've been called an old soul many times in my days, so I guess it's only fitting that I started up the hobby. Haha. I have a wife (who loves to smoke with me! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...), a dog, and a cat. My other hobby aside from smoking is songwriting - I really like the great singer/songwriters of the 70's (James Taylor, Dan Fogelberg, Jim Croce, John Prine, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, etc.) and that's the type of music I love to listen to and try to write myself. Music is my main hobby aside from pipe smoking. I like taking road trips with my wife, spending time with my family, and heading out to the mountains with my dog for some peace and quiet now and then.

As far as my tobaccos and pipes go, I keep it pretty simple. I have six pipes total and don't plan on getting any more. I found a line from Brebbia that I really liked and bought all six shapes that they had. My favorite tobacco is Half & Half - I always have a couple of tubs on hand. I've smoked it so many times and so many places that any time I crack the lid and take a whiff, I'm always reminded of good times and good memories. I like the flavor and how it's easy to pack, too, so for all those reasons it's my go-to blend. I do have some jars of other tobaccos and occasionally get an itch and order one or two new ones to try. Usually Virginias or non-aromatics, but I've got some aromatics and some stuff from our local tobacconist. I have a couple heavier blends that I hardly ever touch (probably because when I first tried Mississippi River on the suggestion of the internet, I got sicker than s*** since I had no concept of nicotine hit). I'll chip away at them over time, though! I have a brass zippo and a buffalo horn pipe knife as my tools, but I like to light with matches if I'm at home. When my wife and I first started dating, she made me a pipe bag using some of her dad's leather making supplies - it's perfect and I love using it since she made it for me! All of these items are sentimental to me and are probably my most prized possessions.

I think that about covers it! So glad to be here with you all. It's great to know so many people find as much joy in this hobby as I do. Hope to talk to you all here on the forum in the future. Also, if anyone is here in Nampa/Boise area, let me know! Maybe we could get together at a park and share a pipe sometime.
hey welcome aboard. If I am ever in Idaho I'll look you up on that park offer. Oh and I think you're the first person I've met who smokes half and half. Nothing wrong with that. It's just not a very popular blend among the people on the internet (probably not the average among pipe smokers, I imagine most of them don't feel the need to talk to other pipe smokers much). That said I think one of the most important parts of smoking a pipe is just slowing down and dedicating your self to something that's basically a simple pleasure the particular blend is just a detail (important but not key if that makes sense). Oh and last thing my oldest pipe is a Brebbia and it's a great pipe, it's an iceberg which is what they call their Lumberman which is just a type of long shanked billard. It's a great pipe and it even comes with a little story.

Reactions: UncleRasta

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Welcome. Your post is inspiring. I am trying to narrow my pipe collection down to a seven day set. I also have a Brebbia 6002, which is one of my best smoking pipes.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
hey welcome aboard. If I am ever in Idaho I'll look you up on that park offer. Oh and I think you're the first person I've met who smokes half and half. Nothing wrong with that. It's just not a very popular blend among the people on the internet (probably not the average among pipe smokers, I imagine most of them don't feel the need to talk to other pipe smokers much). That said I think one of the most important parts of smoking a pipe is just slowing down and dedicating your self to something that's basically a simple pleasure the particular blend is just a detail (important but not key if that makes sense). Oh and last thing my oldest pipe is a Brebbia and it's a great pipe, it's an iceberg which is what they call their Lumberman which is just a type of long shanked billard. It's a great pipe and it even comes with a little story.
Absolutely, I'll be here! Yeah, from what I've gathered it's not many people's cup of tea. And no doubt there are better blends out there. I just like the familiarity after having smoked it for so long. Like an old friend! I googled the Lumberman - quite the shank on that thing! Love the shape. What's the story?

Reactions: anotherbob

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Welcome. Your post is inspiring. I am trying to narrow my pipe collection down to a seven day set. I also have a Brebbia 6002, which is one of my best smoking pipes.
How many do you have right now? The 6002 is great, such a classic look. I found when I tried amassing a lot of pipes that I had "analysis paralysis"... too many options! All about finding what works for you. Same with clothes - I'm a same-outfit-everyday kind of guy. K.I.S.S., as they say. Haha.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Absolutely, I'll be here! Yeah, from what I've gathered it's not many people's cup of tea. And no doubt there are better blends out there. I just like the familiarity after having smoked it for so long. Like an old friend! I googled the Lumberman - quite the shank on that thing! Love the shape. What's the story?
no idea what the story is. IT really seems lost to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.