PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDJ1967

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Central Florida, USA
Good Evening To All.

A little about myself: I'm 53, divorced, no children. My free time is spent on the internet, my nose in a book, and now, hopefully, pipe smoking. I never smoked cigarettes and except for a rare cigar, I've been a "good boy" for most of my life. But I've reached a point where I figure it is time to grant myself a few pleasures (indulgences?). I started to enjoy a more occasional cigar (The Griffin's Prestige is my favorite) which I suppose is what led me to pipes. I could not help but notice how serene many pipe smokers appear, especially on YouTube. I got interested. Relaxation is something I can use more of,

Sadly, most "tobacco shops" in my area carry a few cigars, nothing really for pipes, and almost everything is for, shall we say "recreational substances". The closest genuine pipe store is over 70 miles away, so I made the trip one Saturday and was saddened to see how little they did have for pipes, mostly catering to cigars. However, I got a corn cob which the owner seasoned on the inside of the bowl with a bit of brandy and a small bag of house blend he recommended.

It was enough to convince me I liked this, so I have taken another step. Nothing wrong with the corn cob, but it got damaged when I tried to clean it (perhaps my fault). Anyway, I started researching pipes. Boy, there was an adventure. I see where collecting pipes can get entirely out of hand if you're not careful.

I finally ordered two pipes online: a Peterson Tankard and a Savinelli Roma 673 KS (which has been very highly reviewed, so it seemed like a good place to start). I also have a tin of Haunted Bookshop and Peterson Early Morning, both of which have been well reviewed and the Early Morning as consistently recommended for new pipe smokers (again, I had to start somewhere).

I expect all to be delivered next week. I just want to add I look forward to joining you all here and thank you the threads I read in doing my pipe homework. It was a big help.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Good Evening To All.

A little about myself: I'm 53, divorced, no children. My free time is spent on the internet, my nose in a book, and now, hopefully, pipe smoking. I never smoked cigarettes and except for a rare cigar, I've been a "good boy" for most of my life. But I've reached a point where I figure it is time to grant myself a few pleasures (indulgences?). I started to enjoy a more occasional cigar (The Griffin's Prestige is my favorite) which I suppose is what led me to pipes. I could not help but notice how serene many pipe smokers appear, especially on YouTube. I got interested. Relaxation is something I can use more of,

Sadly, most "tobacco shops" in my area carry a few cigars, nothing really for pipes, and almost everything is for, shall we say "recreational substances". The closest genuine pipe store is over 70 miles away, so I made the trip one Saturday and was saddened to see how little they did have for pipes, mostly catering to cigars. However, I got a corn cob which the owner seasoned on the inside of the bowl with a bit of brandy and a small bag of house blend he recommended.

It was enough to convince me I liked this, so I have taken another step. Nothing wrong with the corn cob, but it got damaged when I tried to clean it (perhaps my fault). Anyway, I started researching pipes. Boy, there was an adventure. I see where collecting pipes can get entirely out of hand if you're not careful.

I finally ordered two pipes online: a Peterson Tankard and a Savinelli Roma 673 KS (which has been very highly reviewed, so it seemed like a good place to start). I also have a tin of Haunted Bookshop and Peterson Early Morning, both of which have been well reviewed and the Early Morning as consistently recommended for new pipe smokers (again, I had to start somewhere).

I expect all to be delivered next week. I just want to add I look forward to joining you all here and thank you the threads I read in doing my pipe homework. It was a big help.
Cooling off now a bit, isn't it? Cheers from Wellington, FL!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you click on Retailer Directory on the brown bar with PipesMagazine.com, you can find retail shops in various states. Of course, some of the shops may be out of business.

Reactions: 02Knight
Status
Not open for further replies.