PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellowSoul

Lurker
Jan 30, 2020
Hello Paula, just to make sure you’re at the right place, we’re all pipe smoking enthusiasts :)

That said, welcome to the forum!

As far as advice regarding tobacco and its odor, my wife makes me smoke outside.
That's funny, actually :) I argued with my husband about that and we decided he would only smoke in his office, but I can still smell this. Fortunately, that's not cigarettes, but I thought about buying one of these things. Do not you have one at home? I mean, you all told "feel free to ask questions" but no one actually replied about how you deal with the smell. All of you smoking outside?
P.S. Since I found this forum, could you give me a few brands of premium quality cigars? I just came up with the idea that it would be a great gift for my husband

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That's funny, actually :) I argued with my husband about that and we decided he would only smoke in his office, but I can still smell this. Fortunately, that's not cigarettes, but I thought about buying one of these things. Do not you have one at home? I mean, you all told "feel free to ask questions" but no one actually replied about how you deal with the smell. All of you smoking outside?
P.S. Since I found this forum, could you give me a few brands of premium quality cigars? I just came up with the idea that it would be a great gift for my husband

Hi Ms. Paula,

I smoke outside because my wife disdains the smell, regardless, two of my children have asthma, so outside is pretty much my only option at the moment.

As for Cigar selections, I’m not sure what your husband likes, but if you’re unable to obtain Cubans (or even if you are), I would recommend Padron Anniversary 1926, Padron Anniversary 1964 (I prefer the natural wrapper in both), Fuente Fuente OpusX Lost City, Fuente Fuente OpusX Reserva d’Chateau, Liga Privada 9, Liga Privada T-52, San Cristobal Quintessence... I could go on a bit, but if my wife were to present any of these to me as a gift I would be most grateful :) Either singles or boxes.

Good luck and I’ll add to please be careful with ozone generators as though they certainly take care of odors, breathing of ozone isn’t recommended. I realize you may already know this, I only want to point this out just in case.

ETA: To answer your question on air purifiers; yes, we do. However they’re used to control air quality inside the home. We’ve two very nice models downstairs and two upstairs. Our models are Honeywells. That said we’ve recently read great things about the RabbitAirs, which may be a future purchase.

Last edited:

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
Hello, and a hardy welcome from Idaho to you from Michigan -the home of the "Motor City Madman" Mr. Ted Nugent!
My wife doesn't allow me to smoke in the house as well, but I have heard from others that air purifiers can work well.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Western Canada! I do all my smoking outside. My wife doesn’t mind the smell at all. However, neither of us want the smell lingering on the walls, furniture, etc. Not everyone has the same appreciation, friends and family do have health issues and we know we are selling this house in the future. We have discussed dedicating one room but to this point haven’t made the investment of time or dollars to outfit the room, easier to step outside.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Welcome! I can’t smoke inside, but I wholeheartedly agree with what has been said here... ventilation is one of the big things you can do to help manage the smell. I have also read on these forums of people giving the room a deep clean twice a year.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Good luck and I’ll add to please be careful with ozone generators as though they certainly take care of odors, breathing of ozone isn’t recommended. I realize you may already know this, I only want to point this out just in case.

ETA: To answer your question on air purifiers; yes, we do. However they’re used to control air quality inside the home. We’ve two very nice models downstairs and two upstairs. Our models are Honeywells. That said we’ve recently read great things about the RabbitAirs, which may be a future purchase.
I second this. Don't use ozone. They sometimes use them in my building to get rid of the highly pervasive and insidious smells from ethnic cooking (yes, there are things compared to which cigarette tobacco smells like sweet perfume), but they use them only when the suites are vacant—after the tenant has moved out and before the new one moves in, never when there're people in there.

An air purifier is a better option.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day Paula.
When I smoked cigarettes, every morning when I awoke I could smell stale smoke.
Since switching to a pipe around ten years ago, I rarely smell stale smoke in the mornings.
My soft furnishings like my curtains, no longer smell nor do they turn yellow.

As I smoke mild tobacco with mild to low nicotine, I think that nicotine from the cigarettes was the main culprit re; stains & smell.

Consider buying hubby a pipe and several 1 ounce bags of tobacco. [Bulk blends can be ordered by the ounce from on-line tobacconists such as www.tobaccopipes.com They also stock cigars]
I'd recommend Butternut Burley. You'll love the smell.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My soft furnishings like my curtains, no longer smell nor do they turn yellow.

As I smoke mild tobacco with mild to low nicotine, I think that nicotine from the cigarettes was the main culprit re; stains & smell.
Actually, it's mostly the tar from the combustion of the paper wrapper that causes the stains. I'm positive the additives in the cigarettes also contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.