Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot_Tailpipe

Lurker
Jan 27, 2020
British Columbia
Very occasional cigar smoker for 20 years or so. I finally got tired of abandoning a smoke less than halfway through. I was bored with limited flavour profiles as well. My father and Granfather enjoyed their pipes back in the 60's and 70's - Cheap plain pipes as well as handmade from whatever hardwood was in the woodpile. Borkum Riff was all that was available to them in the far flung wilderness of Northern Ontario. At least that is all I can remember.

Jan 18th 2019, I decided to stop into the Briar Shoppe in Houston TX, where Austin gave me a good overview of pipes and tobacco. I left the shop with a Peterson Rustic Aran and 2 ounces of Mature Virginia ribbon cut. It has taken about a month to get through that first 2 ounces... occasional smokes after dinner, walking the dog or sitting in the duck blind.... I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every puff (soggy dottle on a rainy morning puts a sour note on my tongue)

I am a hunting, fishing, guitar playing, hockey playing, father of two teens - living just north of the 49th... I spend a week of each month in TX, or LA for work, so will be building up an interesting selection of tobacco packing my limit back each trip. A 2oz pouch of plain no name tobacco retails for $40 at the local B&M here..

Lots of great info on this forum, I am learning quickly by reading through older threads. So, thank you to all that have shared their knowledge and experience here.

Thus far I have added Peterson Perfect Plug, Escudo, Aylesbury's Finest British, Stokkbye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and more plain mature virgina ribbon to my slowly growing collection.

Seems my smoking opportunities are limited to 20 minutes or less, so now I need to find a couple of nice smaller pipes for the different blends.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Welcome from Ottawa. Your monthly trips south of the border are just the ticket for building up a cellar. You've probably read various posts talking about the coming restrictions on pipe tobacco. If you have time on your hands, look at the antique stores etc. when you are in the US. Might find some nice estate pipes!
Cheers,

Mau

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome, from Knik River, Alaska! And in my mind, you live just BELOW the 49th! (State that is, hehe). We share many hobbies, most notably hunting and fishing. although they are more of a lifestyle than a hobby for us, haha! Always nice to see more of our friendly neighbors to the south on the forum, I'm sure you will find it not only a wealth of information, but a wealth of friendship and laughs as well. Welcome again!

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
True... once you have uniform cake built up I am told.

I am also told there is no such thing as too many pipes... or rifles or fishing rods or any good thing.
Some would say I abuse my beater pipes. I don't have any cake build-up, I chain-smoke multiple bowls one after the other from the same pipe, I leave my pipe in the car during the winter and fire it up when I get in the car. Now, granted, I don't do this when it's lower than -15 C, but that's only because it gets a little nippy in the car when you are travelling at 100 km/hr with the window down. The pipes are holding up admirably.

Reactions: Hot_Tailpipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. Sounds like you are one busy guy. For small pipes and short smokes, I like my Peterson Belgique, a nice group one with a slightly canted bowl. The small MM cobs are also useful for this purpose, and you can also pack medium size pipes partially full, which also works. Nearly all the standard brands make some small pipes, the Stanwell bulldog shape 32, for example. A tin of premium pipe tobacco, with about twenty bowls in it, costs about as much as two or three premium cigars, so to me, it's better smoking at lower cost.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
seriously this is a great place to be. One it confirms my notion that pipes smokers tend to be good at telling stories. I've been smoking pipes lightly since sometime in the mid to early 90's and I've learned a bunch of new things and little but useful tips. Generally folks actually get along despite the fact that there are lots of different types here. Seriously if you need some hints about how to do something (outside of pipes) there is a really good chance you'll bump into someone here you can legit help out.

Reactions: Hot_Tailpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.