PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon

Lurker
Apr 14, 2021
Hello! I'm Jon, an artist and graphic designer by trade, living in the never-endingly popular Austin, TX for the last 20 years or so. New to the forum but not to pipes. I first got into it in the winter of 1991 - a young, idiotic lad of 17 living in Jackson Hole at the time. There was a shop there called Tobacco Row that carried Silk Cut cigarettes, which you couldn't find in Utah where I grew up, that I thought were just the coolest because John Constantine smoked them in Hellblazer, one of my favorite comics at the time.

Decided to check out pipe smoking one day. Grabbed a ruby stained basket pipe and the owner recommended that I start with a tobacco called Trapline - a black cavendish aromatic, not unlike BCA. Had no idea what I was doing but I loved it. I smoked pipes off and on over the years after that, revisiting and unvisiting a small collection. Fast forward to covid times, going through a box of old stuff, I found the ruby pipe and that original bag of Trapline. The ziploc was worn out but I managed to salvage the label. The tobacco was dry as a bone but moistened up just fine. Been off to the smoking races ever since, giving up the cigs entirely and replacing them full flung with the endlessly more interesting, varied, and pleasurable concern (and obsession, yikes) of pipes.

I looked up Tobacco Row and they're still there, apparently. Been meaning to write to them and see if they still carry Trapline. English and Virgina are much more my thing but it would be fun to compare the current blend to the same one that was sitting in a box for 30 years :)

Really looking forward to connecting with this most excellent and admirable community!

Cheers,
Jon

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Welcome, Jon!

Every time someone says Austin, I hear Gary P. Nunn singing, "I want to go home with the armilidillos..."

Cheers,

Chili

• Haha
Reactions: jon and OzPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.