PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hi!
I've been a non-smoker of anything all of my life, but over the last several months I have become very interested in pipes and pipe-smoking. I've done as much research as I can, watched hundreds of vids from many sources, including Stuff and Things, Muttnchop Piper and many more, and have read these forums as often as possible. I made my decision to indulge, and finding that I [had] some disposable income, I began with the following:
Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman cob. My first smoke was yesterday; Orlik Golden Sliced (I'm not really a fan of any of the aromatic smells or flavors, and would much rather taste the blends as a hobbyist). I truly enjoyed it, and from the beginning I began with the breath smoking technique (as Muttnchop and Alan Kerslake vids have described it) to build good habits and cadence. Yeah, I'm kind of detail oriented, but I found it a very relaxing experience.
Good thing too, because other supplies have arrived (and yes, I do fear TAD and PAD...I have other ADs which have preceded them).
All so far from Smokingpipes.com (not affiliated in any way):

Tobacco

Orlik Golden Sliced

Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture (Yes, I'm aware of the Dunhill Dilemma)

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

A&C Petersen Escudo Navy Deluxe

G.L. Pease Gaslight

Dunhill Nightcap

Dunhill Navy Rolls

Lane 1-Q (for my lighter moments)

(All in small quantities and now in pint mason jars)
Tools
2 Czech Tools

2 rubber bits

Myriad Pipe Cleaners
Lighter
Kiribi Tomo Gold + Flints
Pipes (At last)
MM Apple Diplomat (Bent)

MM 5th Avenue Diplomat (Bent)

Savinelli Professor Rusticated (106)

Savinelli Venere Rusticated (670KS)
Again, very glad that I enjoyed the first smoke so much....and my plan is to SLOWLY work my way thru the various blends, taking my time to get used to the various tobacco varieties and preparations. Today I tried out the Plum Pudding....and I did very much enjoy it, although of course I can't begin to separate the complex flavors from the initial Orlik VaPer. I expect that this will become easier as time goes on.....I know they do taste different at this point, but I'm not sure why....and I thought, perhaps, they would be more different than they were. I'm assuming that comes with practice and experience in this wonderfully contemplative hobby.
In any case, here I am, and I'm sure I'll be annoying you with many questions on my journey.
Take care!
CW

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome CW. You won't find a better group of friendly, helpful and sometimes funny pipers. Jump in and have fun.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're off and running! Looks like a great start, and welcome to the forum.
Keep in mind that the first x number of smokes from a new pipe will affect the over all taste. Somewhere between a half dozen to two dozen to form a thin black layer of cake at which point the pipe will be somewhat neutral in its effect on the taste of the smoke.
Enjoy!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
" finding that I [had] some disposable income"
Well, pipe smoking will take care of that problem for you....welcome to the club.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Welcome to the fold!
I'm interested to hear your take on 1Q. I bought some early on, just because it is among the most popular pipe tobaccos in the world. However, my intervening years of buying estate pipes have made 1Q a boogeyman of sorts, as it haunts a lot of very nice pipes that I've acquired.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Ask as many questions that you need to ask. Up to a point, I believe that the more questions asked the happier the smoker.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Good God, kid. (Yeah, I can say that. -grin-) You jumped in with all four feet & both shoulders! Welcome, & Two Most Important Words:
Black. Frigate. ;)
Glad to have you on board!
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. Looks like you're off and running. The floor is always open to questions. Lots of good info and discussion to be had.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
On your marks, get set, GO.
And you’re off. Enjoy. Great group here.
Welcome.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I truly enjoyed it, and from the beginning I began with the breath smoking technique (as Muttnchop and Alan Kerslake vids have described it)
Wow, just looked up Muttonchop. Hadn't heard of him. He keeps breath smoking like that, he's going to burn a hole in that pipe! 8O

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
CW:Welcome to the forum ,looks like You've gotten all figured out, congrats on your wise decision,'

Chasing Emb: Whole YT pipe community is likely to know him(Mr, Muttonchop-Chris) a former member of USMC

Best Greets,Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.